Football, Sports

Miami defense a no-show at Duke

Miami was gifted a big opportunity when kickoff arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday. Maryland toppled Virginia Tech a bit earlier, meaning the Canes had renewed promise in the ACC Coastal.

But for the third consecutive week, the UM defense was absolutely mauled, and the Hurricanes stood no chance. Duke ran wherever it wanted en route to a 48-30 victory.

“People look at this game and say, ‘Well Duke didn’t throw the ball against Miami, but they ran it.’ No. We ran it so well we didn’t need to throw it,” said Brandon Connette, who rushed for four touchdowns and threw another.

The Canes (7-3, 3-3 ACC ) lost their third straight, while the Blue Devils won their sixth game in a row.

Duke (8-2, 4-2 ACC) now has a clear path to meet Florida State in the ACC Championship, to be held Dec. 7 in Charlotte, N.C.

Miami executed well offensively, getting a 300-yard, two-touchdown day from senior quarterback Stephen Morris.

Herb Waters was a reliable target, catching nine passes for 116 yards and two scores.

Dallas Crawford led Miami with 115 yards on the ground.

But the defense had no answers for Duke’s blazing attack.

“Our guys are feeling a next-level mentality,” Duke coach David Cutliffe said. “If you become a team that is fighting for something and you’re preparing that way, you don’t give in easily.”

When it looked like there was still a window for Miami to climb back into contention, Shaquille Powell burst through the line and gave Duke a 45-30 cushion on his 33-yard, fourth-down run.

“It’s fair to say we’re evaluating every component, every step of the way,” Miami coach Al Golden said. “That includes defense. There’s enough blame to go around in this game.”

Duke last beat Miami in 1976.

The Hurricanes return home for Senior Day against Virginia on Saturday at noon.

Spencer Dandes

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...