Football, Sports

Miami defense a no-show at Duke

Miami was gifted a big opportunity when kickoff arrived mid-afternoon on Saturday. Maryland toppled Virginia Tech a bit earlier, meaning the Canes had renewed promise in the ACC Coastal.

But for the third consecutive week, the UM defense was absolutely mauled, and the Hurricanes stood no chance. Duke ran wherever it wanted en route to a 48-30 victory.

“People look at this game and say, ‘Well Duke didn’t throw the ball against Miami, but they ran it.’ No. We ran it so well we didn’t need to throw it,” said Brandon Connette, who rushed for four touchdowns and threw another.

The Canes (7-3, 3-3 ACC ) lost their third straight, while the Blue Devils won their sixth game in a row.

Duke (8-2, 4-2 ACC) now has a clear path to meet Florida State in the ACC Championship, to be held Dec. 7 in Charlotte, N.C.

Miami executed well offensively, getting a 300-yard, two-touchdown day from senior quarterback Stephen Morris.

Herb Waters was a reliable target, catching nine passes for 116 yards and two scores.

Dallas Crawford led Miami with 115 yards on the ground.

But the defense had no answers for Duke’s blazing attack.

“Our guys are feeling a next-level mentality,” Duke coach David Cutliffe said. “If you become a team that is fighting for something and you’re preparing that way, you don’t give in easily.”

When it looked like there was still a window for Miami to climb back into contention, Shaquille Powell burst through the line and gave Duke a 45-30 cushion on his 33-yard, fourth-down run.

“It’s fair to say we’re evaluating every component, every step of the way,” Miami coach Al Golden said. “That includes defense. There’s enough blame to go around in this game.”

Duke last beat Miami in 1976.

The Hurricanes return home for Senior Day against Virginia on Saturday at noon.

Spencer Dandes

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...