Influential lawyer speaks on experiences

Alan Dershowitz traded in the courtroom for the beach.

“I want to become a Florida beach bum,” he said.

Despite his wishes, prominent attorney Dershowitz manages to keep busy after retiring from his 50-year tenure at Harvard Law School. He spoke at the BankUnited Center Fieldhouse on Friday to talk about his 30th book “Taking the Stand: My Life in the Law,” an autobiography about his legal career. The University of Miami’s School of Law and the local bookstore, Books and Books, hosted the event.

“A few years ago, I figured, I’m coming to milestones, this is my 30th book, and it’s a good time to reflect,” he said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “My hope is that this isn’t my last memoir.”

Dershowitz is primarily a civil liberties and criminal lawyer. He has won 30 out of 37 homicide cases.

He represented well-known clients who were accused for murder such as British socialite Claus von Bulow, O.J. Simpson and former Ukrainian President Leonid Kuchma.

Some of his homicide cases ended with the death penalty.

“The easiest cases to win are murder cases with a death penalty,” Dershowitz said. “I’ve told a couple of my clients, ‘You are so lucky you’re getting the death penalty.’”

Dershowitz learned not to get nervous about cases involving murder, although the Kuchma case proved different.

“I was working with my legal team and we found one of the lawyers on the team dead,” he said. “When we found out how he died, that was the tip-off that there was something else involved.”

Aside from these high-profile crime cases, half of Dershowitz’s cases are pro bono, a legal term for “the public good.”

Dershowitz decided to pursue a career in law because “you can use your mouth and not your brain.”

Dershowitz thinks prospective lawyers can become successful if they learn to listen. He also believes that there’s a life outside of the corporate law route and a decent living can still be made at a small firm.

“Don’t fill in other people’s pigeon holes,” he said. “Figure out what you’re good at, and figure out your strengths, because too many lawyers fit into predicted patterns.

Looking back on his retirement from Harvard Law School, Dershowitz has no regrets.

“I tend to not be a regretting type of person,” he said. “People ask if I’m going to regret retiring from Harvard, and I see it as a new beginning.”

Megan McCrink

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...