Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Synchronized cast proves central in French comedy

“The Women on the 6th Floor” (France) – Netflix Instant Watch and Amazon Prime Instant Video

While it could easily have indulged in cartoony stereotypes about the nature of women from Spain, “The Women on the 6th Floor,” a French comedy about Spanish domestic workers in Paris in the 1960s, proves remarkably refreshing.

Granted in the first scene the maids are individually interviewed, it certainly would seem overly reliant on stereotypes. Each maid boasts in an accent as rhythmic as the flamenco guitar in the background, the many tapas and styles of paella she can cook.

But the old-school economist, who is looking to hire one of them, only cares about one thing: that his morning hard-boiled egg be cooked to perfection.

As he accidentally gets to know each of the maids who live a floor above him, we learn that they are not an anonymous, homogenous entity, but rather a varied family, full of personalities as unique as their regional accents.

Each character in the film represents a vastly different mentality, making the casting a critical affair. What is impressive is that in addition to holistically embodying their individual mentalities, each actor succeeds in highlighting the attitudes of the rest, resulting in a synchronized cast that sets the stage for a cheerful message.

What maids are made of – and indeed what we are made of – extends beyond the limitations of professional roles to encompass the how of everything we do.

Like the perfectly cooked egg, this comedy is the product of impeccable timing. The comedic situations seamlessly step from subtle to outrageous, with the eloquence usually reserved for theatrical plays.

Luisa Andonie

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...