Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended from campus

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, has been suspended from campus for four years.

The national headquarters for the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity said in a press release the Gamma Omega chapter lost its charter for “violations of university and fraternity risk awareness policies.”

The more than 50 active members of Pike have been granted alumni status. The fraternity will be able to petition the Interfraternity Council in fall 2016 for possible reinstatement to campus. If granted, they will be allowed to return to campus no earlier than spring 2017.

“The University of Miami values our partnership with the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, in a press release.

Both the national headquarters of Pike and UM administration did not provide any details about the latest violations and declined further comment beyond the statements released.

Senior Mike McLaughlin, president of Pike, said he was disappointed with the decision.

“They have a misconstrued idea of the kind of people that we are based of our past,” he said.

This is not the first time Pike has been suspended from campus.

According to a previous report published in The Miami Hurricane, the fraternity was suspended in 2005 for 30 days because of alleged violations of the international fraternity policy and the university code of conduct, as well as financial delinquency to the national fraternity. In 2009, the fraternity was again investigated for an unregistered event at a private residence.

Most recently, in 2011, Pike was suspended for hosting an unauthorized off-campus party during Labor Day weekend and the initiation of ineligible members, according to a previous report in The Miami Hurricane.

In the wake of the investigation, national Pike officers conducted a membership review and more than half of the fraternity was not invited back.  This was their first semester going through the official recruitment process, since the 2011 suspension.

In all aforementioned three cases, the fraternity was reinstated.

Social chair Alec Goldberg said this semester, Pike raised more than $30,000 in philanthropy.

“The total morale of the frat was the best it’s ever been,” he said. “It’s very unfortunate that it has to happen at this time.”

Still, McLaughlin is optimistic about the future of the Pike.

“We really believe everything happens for a reason,” he said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...