Campus Life, Greek Life, News

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity suspended from campus

Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, has been suspended from campus for four years.

The national headquarters for the Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity said in a press release the Gamma Omega chapter lost its charter for “violations of university and fraternity risk awareness policies.”

The more than 50 active members of Pike have been granted alumni status. The fraternity will be able to petition the Interfraternity Council in fall 2016 for possible reinstatement to campus. If granted, they will be allowed to return to campus no earlier than spring 2017.

“The University of Miami values our partnership with the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity,” said Patricia Whitely, vice president for student affairs, in a press release.

Both the national headquarters of Pike and UM administration did not provide any details about the latest violations and declined further comment beyond the statements released.

Senior Mike McLaughlin, president of Pike, said he was disappointed with the decision.

“They have a misconstrued idea of the kind of people that we are based of our past,” he said.

This is not the first time Pike has been suspended from campus.

According to a previous report published in The Miami Hurricane, the fraternity was suspended in 2005 for 30 days because of alleged violations of the international fraternity policy and the university code of conduct, as well as financial delinquency to the national fraternity. In 2009, the fraternity was again investigated for an unregistered event at a private residence.

Most recently, in 2011, Pike was suspended for hosting an unauthorized off-campus party during Labor Day weekend and the initiation of ineligible members, according to a previous report in The Miami Hurricane.

In the wake of the investigation, national Pike officers conducted a membership review and more than half of the fraternity was not invited back.  This was their first semester going through the official recruitment process, since the 2011 suspension.

In all aforementioned three cases, the fraternity was reinstated.

Social chair Alec Goldberg said this semester, Pike raised more than $30,000 in philanthropy.

“The total morale of the frat was the best it’s ever been,” he said. “It’s very unfortunate that it has to happen at this time.”

Still, McLaughlin is optimistic about the future of the Pike.

“We really believe everything happens for a reason,” he said.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...