News, Student Government

Organizations meet to discuss campus life, future collaborations

Student Government (SG) hosted the first “Eat-and-Greet” Wednesday night in Eaton Residential College.

The event provided an opportunity for students and organizations to get acquainted over dinner with SG and talk about ways to improve campus life.

The Eat-and-Greet is part of the larger SG initiative called “Student Government Comes to You” event that intends to form a connection between SG and students.

Invitations were sent out to different student groups to get everyone involved, said Nicole Garcia, executive at large external for SG. Representatives from different branches of SG like the Freshman Leadership Council were present to answer specific student questions.

“We’re here both as teachers and learners,” said Justin Miranda, a member of Freshman Leadership Council.

The event attempted to make it as convenient as possible for students to reach out and communicate with different organizations from campus such as Category 5.

“The goal of this event was to connect with students, connect with student organizations, and just let them know we’re here,” said Adam Orshan, SG press secretary.

SG met students in a comfortable and informal setting, eating sandwiches together as they discussed ways to collaborate.

“We wanted to make it very informal, where students from all over could come and reach out and give us that feedback on different ways to improve life on campus for everybody,” Garcia said.

The event not only allowed students and organizations to learn more about SG, but it also allowed them to provide any suggestions.

By sharing feedback and providing insight, students gave SG an idea of their priorities, allowing them to better represent the student population’s concerns on campus.

“We’ve had a few questions about getting involved,” Garcia said. “Some others have been from actual organizations, thinking about ways to team up with us. It’s been a good variety.”

Orshan said that the event served as a way to help organizations communicate with SG and discuss student groups’ activities.

“We’re here to help them and figure out how we can work together,” he said.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...