Baton girl twirls into students’ hearts

Now that our football team has lost Bowl Championship Series (BCS) hopes, many fans are wondering whether to attend the final home game against Virginia. Though I think supporting our athletes’ valiant efforts is a proper reason, I have an even better one: Lindsey Finkel.

Some of you know her as “Baton Girl” or “Fire Girl” or “That girl who does stick things at halftime.” No matter what you call her, all these names point to the same fact: She can put on a show.

Two batons? No problem. Four batons? In her sleep. Two batons on fire? With her eyes closed. It’s unbelievable. I’m lucky if I get my chopsticks out of the package.

“I almost forget that I’m twirling fire and treat it as any other routine,” she told me.

Being able to forget that three flaming rods are orbiting your face is a level of concentration that most college students don’t have. So honestly, how does she do it? Maybe being “Fire Girl for Miami” – the nickname she prefers – isn’t so hard. Let’s see if we can do it.

“On the morning of game days I listen to Zedd. ‘Clarity’ is my jam,” she said.

That song is already my shower anthem. What else?

“The fans at UM are amazing, and when I’m performing I feed off all your cheers.”

Got to live in the moment and love the U; I can certainly do that. And?

“At the FSU game, a little boy, maybe around the age of 10 or 12, was booing me and he told me I sucked. He said it in front of his parents. I was just shocked, but I smiled at him and continued on,” she said.

Now hold up. You’re telling me that, in order to be the Beethoven of Baton, I have to let a 10-year-old FSU fan taunt me? She’s more amazing than we thought, folks.

Best of all, this supreme athlete does it for the fans.

“You all make me want to come out and perform.”

How could you not love her? Better question: How could you not go to the last football game?

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...