Baton girl twirls into students’ hearts

Now that our football team has lost Bowl Championship Series (BCS) hopes, many fans are wondering whether to attend the final home game against Virginia. Though I think supporting our athletes’ valiant efforts is a proper reason, I have an even better one: Lindsey Finkel.

Some of you know her as “Baton Girl” or “Fire Girl” or “That girl who does stick things at halftime.” No matter what you call her, all these names point to the same fact: She can put on a show.

Two batons? No problem. Four batons? In her sleep. Two batons on fire? With her eyes closed. It’s unbelievable. I’m lucky if I get my chopsticks out of the package.

“I almost forget that I’m twirling fire and treat it as any other routine,” she told me.

Being able to forget that three flaming rods are orbiting your face is a level of concentration that most college students don’t have. So honestly, how does she do it? Maybe being “Fire Girl for Miami” – the nickname she prefers – isn’t so hard. Let’s see if we can do it.

“On the morning of game days I listen to Zedd. ‘Clarity’ is my jam,” she said.

That song is already my shower anthem. What else?

“The fans at UM are amazing, and when I’m performing I feed off all your cheers.”

Got to live in the moment and love the U; I can certainly do that. And?

“At the FSU game, a little boy, maybe around the age of 10 or 12, was booing me and he told me I sucked. He said it in front of his parents. I was just shocked, but I smiled at him and continued on,” she said.

Now hold up. You’re telling me that, in order to be the Beethoven of Baton, I have to let a 10-year-old FSU fan taunt me? She’s more amazing than we thought, folks.

Best of all, this supreme athlete does it for the fans.

“You all make me want to come out and perform.”

How could you not love her? Better question: How could you not go to the last football game?

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...