Baton girl twirls into students’ hearts

Now that our football team has lost Bowl Championship Series (BCS) hopes, many fans are wondering whether to attend the final home game against Virginia. Though I think supporting our athletes’ valiant efforts is a proper reason, I have an even better one: Lindsey Finkel.

Some of you know her as “Baton Girl” or “Fire Girl” or “That girl who does stick things at halftime.” No matter what you call her, all these names point to the same fact: She can put on a show.

Two batons? No problem. Four batons? In her sleep. Two batons on fire? With her eyes closed. It’s unbelievable. I’m lucky if I get my chopsticks out of the package.

“I almost forget that I’m twirling fire and treat it as any other routine,” she told me.

Being able to forget that three flaming rods are orbiting your face is a level of concentration that most college students don’t have. So honestly, how does she do it? Maybe being “Fire Girl for Miami” – the nickname she prefers – isn’t so hard. Let’s see if we can do it.

“On the morning of game days I listen to Zedd. ‘Clarity’ is my jam,” she said.

That song is already my shower anthem. What else?

“The fans at UM are amazing, and when I’m performing I feed off all your cheers.”

Got to live in the moment and love the U; I can certainly do that. And?

“At the FSU game, a little boy, maybe around the age of 10 or 12, was booing me and he told me I sucked. He said it in front of his parents. I was just shocked, but I smiled at him and continued on,” she said.

Now hold up. You’re telling me that, in order to be the Beethoven of Baton, I have to let a 10-year-old FSU fan taunt me? She’s more amazing than we thought, folks.

Best of all, this supreme athlete does it for the fans.

“You all make me want to come out and perform.”

How could you not love her? Better question: How could you not go to the last football game?

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...