Athlete mental health goes unchecked

In 1997, 38 points, 44 minutes and the resolve of a legend came to define the culture of sports. As the final buzzer sounded at the Delta Center, Michael Jordan collapsed, exhausted and gasping for breath. Game 5 of these NBA Finals had forever become “The Flu Game,” the valiant embodiment of Jordan’s “mental toughness.” Intentionally or not, he set the bar for greatness in those grueling 44 minutes, and athletes have since been held up to this higher standard. It has become the lens through which we view an athlete’s propensity to persevere and quantify their intangible “will to win.”

This lens, though, is tinged by Jordan’s victory, so we naturally tend to associate the two: winning and mental toughness. When LeBron James all but vanished in the 2011 NBA Finals, we indicted his mental stability – he lost, so his mind was weak. Just a year later, he became mentally tough because he emerged from the sideline, body ravaged by spastic muscle cramps, to sink what turned out to be the game winning three-pointer in a pivotal Game 4.

Clearly, the arbitrary nature of this designation is absurd, but the true absurdity lies in coupling mental toughness with mental health. Recently, Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin suffered an emotional breakdown in response to alleged bullying led by teammate, Richie Incognito. The media, former players and fans everywhere were quick to stigmatize Martin as unfit for the game of football—too mentally weak to survive in this violent ecosystem of men. But do the two really have anything to do with each other?

If Michael Jordan were to admit that his greatness was a product of his deeply embedded insecurities—that he had to be great because it was the only self-validation he could attain—would our opinion about him change? Would he be any less tough because he suffered from the same kinds of emotional turmoil Jonathan Martin may be suffering from? The two concepts are incongruous. We are guilty of reserving mental toughness for the victors while excluding mental health from the conversation altogether.

Before we further alienate athletes suffering from real, internal battles by stigmatizing them as mentally weak, the culture of sports needs to be enlightened. Only then will the veil of ignorance that shrouds mental health be lifted, making us all “mentally tougher” in the process.

Corey Janson is a senior majoring in psychology and political science.

Corey Janson

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...