Athlete mental health goes unchecked

In 1997, 38 points, 44 minutes and the resolve of a legend came to define the culture of sports. As the final buzzer sounded at the Delta Center, Michael Jordan collapsed, exhausted and gasping for breath. Game 5 of these NBA Finals had forever become “The Flu Game,” the valiant embodiment of Jordan’s “mental toughness.” Intentionally or not, he set the bar for greatness in those grueling 44 minutes, and athletes have since been held up to this higher standard. It has become the lens through which we view an athlete’s propensity to persevere and quantify their intangible “will to win.”

This lens, though, is tinged by Jordan’s victory, so we naturally tend to associate the two: winning and mental toughness. When LeBron James all but vanished in the 2011 NBA Finals, we indicted his mental stability – he lost, so his mind was weak. Just a year later, he became mentally tough because he emerged from the sideline, body ravaged by spastic muscle cramps, to sink what turned out to be the game winning three-pointer in a pivotal Game 4.

Clearly, the arbitrary nature of this designation is absurd, but the true absurdity lies in coupling mental toughness with mental health. Recently, Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin suffered an emotional breakdown in response to alleged bullying led by teammate, Richie Incognito. The media, former players and fans everywhere were quick to stigmatize Martin as unfit for the game of football—too mentally weak to survive in this violent ecosystem of men. But do the two really have anything to do with each other?

If Michael Jordan were to admit that his greatness was a product of his deeply embedded insecurities—that he had to be great because it was the only self-validation he could attain—would our opinion about him change? Would he be any less tough because he suffered from the same kinds of emotional turmoil Jonathan Martin may be suffering from? The two concepts are incongruous. We are guilty of reserving mental toughness for the victors while excluding mental health from the conversation altogether.

Before we further alienate athletes suffering from real, internal battles by stigmatizing them as mentally weak, the culture of sports needs to be enlightened. Only then will the veil of ignorance that shrouds mental health be lifted, making us all “mentally tougher” in the process.

Corey Janson is a senior majoring in psychology and political science.

Corey Janson

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...