Appreciate the sacrifices military families make

There have been stories in the past of anti-war groups protesting at military funerals or other events that honor the military. People have the right not to agree with war – I myself do not support it – but there is a time and a place for everything. What few people realize is the extremely high price that soldiers and their families have to pay.

My father is a sergeant in the Army Reserves and he did a tour of duty in Iraq for 18 months. Because he was overseas, there weren’t a lot of phone calls, just a few intermittent letters. I was also unable to see my father for about two years. Every time I turned on the news and saw that more troops had been killed or injured, I always worried that it was my father until I heard from him.

My grandfather and his brother served in the Air Force during Vietnam as paratroopers. My grandfather returned from Vietnam, but his brother did not. He landed on a land mine during one of their jumps. I remember how, when I went to the Vietnam Memorial in D.C., my grandfather asked me to bring back a rubbing of his brother’s name. As I showed it to him, I could see just how much it meant to him.

I am fortunate in that the majority of my family members have made it back from war, but other families have not been so lucky. There are families torn apart by the loss of a loved one overseas each day. There are also those who have been forced to relocate time and time again because of a parent being on active duty.

Veterans Day is not just any other day to me. It’s a day to appreciate the sacrifices of countless men and women, so that we can enjoy the freedoms we take for granted. If you see a veteran, thank and honor him or her because not everyone is willing to die for this country.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...