Football, Sports

Hokies outplay Hurricanes through storm

Dallas Crawford (25) gets tacked by the Virginia Tech defense during Saturday's Homecoming game. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Miami’s Dallas Crawford gets tackled by Virginia Tech defenders during the loss at Sun Life Stadium. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

In the dismal rain, the Miami Hurricanes (No. 24 AP as of Sunday) failed to preserve their perfect home record and fell to the Virginia Tech Hokies, 42-24.

With Saturday’s loss, the Hurricanes drop to 7-2 overall, 3-2 in the ACC and squandered their best chance to clinch the Coastal Division title.

The game began with promise for the Canes, with an 81-yard touchdown reception from senior Stephen Morris to freshman Stacy Coley in the first quarter.

But Miami had more miscues than highlights, primarily on special teams. The Hurricanes fumbled two kicks that handed the Hokies possession, and also turned the ball over on a low snap to punter Pat O’Donnell, whose knee hit the ground and ended the play.

“To start out the game like that, I don’t think there’s anybody in this business that would see that coming,” coach Al Golden said. “There’s just no way that should happen. I’m really disappointed there.”

Trey Edmunds quickly cashed in for the Virginia Tech offense, scoring three rushing touchdowns in the first half.

“There are a lot of things we need to fix,” Golden said. “We had too many guys open, we didn’t tackle well enough, we didn’t get off the field, we didn’t get a red-zone stop, and we didn’t get enough pressure on the quarterback.”

Miami had scattered success throughout – a 2-yard rushing score for Dallas Crawford, a 49-yard field goal from Matt Goudis and an 84-yard touchdown catch for Allen Hurns – but could not catch up to the Hokies.

Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas recorded 366 passing yards, averaging 11.8 yards per throw with two touchdowns. Edmunds led all rushers with 74 yards and 4 touchdowns on the night.

Morris remains confident that Miami can overcome dysfunction on offense and defense that did not appear until recently.

“I’m not worried. This is a resilient team, a tough team. We’ve been through a lot,” he said.

Georgia Tech now leads the Coastal Division over a host of challengers with two conference losses. Miami faces Duke next week in a must-win situation.

The Canes could have secured another date with Florida State in the ACC Championship Game with a win over VT.

“We’re going to go to work tomorrow, like I just told the team … They have to decide which direction they want to go. There’s a lot of football left. They have to get their minds right and move on,” Golden said.

Kristen Spillane

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...