Football, Sports

Hokies outplay Hurricanes through storm

Dallas Crawford (25) gets tacked by the Virginia Tech defense during Saturday's Homecoming game. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Miami’s Dallas Crawford gets tackled by Virginia Tech defenders during the loss at Sun Life Stadium. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

In the dismal rain, the Miami Hurricanes (No. 24 AP as of Sunday) failed to preserve their perfect home record and fell to the Virginia Tech Hokies, 42-24.

With Saturday’s loss, the Hurricanes drop to 7-2 overall, 3-2 in the ACC and squandered their best chance to clinch the Coastal Division title.

The game began with promise for the Canes, with an 81-yard touchdown reception from senior Stephen Morris to freshman Stacy Coley in the first quarter.

But Miami had more miscues than highlights, primarily on special teams. The Hurricanes fumbled two kicks that handed the Hokies possession, and also turned the ball over on a low snap to punter Pat O’Donnell, whose knee hit the ground and ended the play.

“To start out the game like that, I don’t think there’s anybody in this business that would see that coming,” coach Al Golden said. “There’s just no way that should happen. I’m really disappointed there.”

Trey Edmunds quickly cashed in for the Virginia Tech offense, scoring three rushing touchdowns in the first half.

“There are a lot of things we need to fix,” Golden said. “We had too many guys open, we didn’t tackle well enough, we didn’t get off the field, we didn’t get a red-zone stop, and we didn’t get enough pressure on the quarterback.”

Miami had scattered success throughout – a 2-yard rushing score for Dallas Crawford, a 49-yard field goal from Matt Goudis and an 84-yard touchdown catch for Allen Hurns – but could not catch up to the Hokies.

Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas recorded 366 passing yards, averaging 11.8 yards per throw with two touchdowns. Edmunds led all rushers with 74 yards and 4 touchdowns on the night.

Morris remains confident that Miami can overcome dysfunction on offense and defense that did not appear until recently.

“I’m not worried. This is a resilient team, a tough team. We’ve been through a lot,” he said.

Georgia Tech now leads the Coastal Division over a host of challengers with two conference losses. Miami faces Duke next week in a must-win situation.

The Canes could have secured another date with Florida State in the ACC Championship Game with a win over VT.

“We’re going to go to work tomorrow, like I just told the team … They have to decide which direction they want to go. There’s a lot of football left. They have to get their minds right and move on,” Golden said.

Kristen Spillane

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...