Football, Sports

Hokies outplay Hurricanes through storm

Dallas Crawford (25) gets tacked by the Virginia Tech defense during Saturday's Homecoming game. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

Miami’s Dallas Crawford gets tackled by Virginia Tech defenders during the loss at Sun Life Stadium. Nick Gangemi // Assistant Photo Editor

In the dismal rain, the Miami Hurricanes (No. 24 AP as of Sunday) failed to preserve their perfect home record and fell to the Virginia Tech Hokies, 42-24.

With Saturday’s loss, the Hurricanes drop to 7-2 overall, 3-2 in the ACC and squandered their best chance to clinch the Coastal Division title.

The game began with promise for the Canes, with an 81-yard touchdown reception from senior Stephen Morris to freshman Stacy Coley in the first quarter.

But Miami had more miscues than highlights, primarily on special teams. The Hurricanes fumbled two kicks that handed the Hokies possession, and also turned the ball over on a low snap to punter Pat O’Donnell, whose knee hit the ground and ended the play.

“To start out the game like that, I don’t think there’s anybody in this business that would see that coming,” coach Al Golden said. “There’s just no way that should happen. I’m really disappointed there.”

Trey Edmunds quickly cashed in for the Virginia Tech offense, scoring three rushing touchdowns in the first half.

“There are a lot of things we need to fix,” Golden said. “We had too many guys open, we didn’t tackle well enough, we didn’t get off the field, we didn’t get a red-zone stop, and we didn’t get enough pressure on the quarterback.”

Miami had scattered success throughout – a 2-yard rushing score for Dallas Crawford, a 49-yard field goal from Matt Goudis and an 84-yard touchdown catch for Allen Hurns – but could not catch up to the Hokies.

Virginia Tech quarterback Logan Thomas recorded 366 passing yards, averaging 11.8 yards per throw with two touchdowns. Edmunds led all rushers with 74 yards and 4 touchdowns on the night.

Morris remains confident that Miami can overcome dysfunction on offense and defense that did not appear until recently.

“I’m not worried. This is a resilient team, a tough team. We’ve been through a lot,” he said.

Georgia Tech now leads the Coastal Division over a host of challengers with two conference losses. Miami faces Duke next week in a must-win situation.

The Canes could have secured another date with Florida State in the ACC Championship Game with a win over VT.

“We’re going to go to work tomorrow, like I just told the team … They have to decide which direction they want to go. There’s a lot of football left. They have to get their minds right and move on,” Golden said.

Kristen Spillane

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...