V's Take

Dear V: Does he want to party with me …

V,

I recently asked this boy to my sorority semi-formal and he agreed to come with me. The problem is I don’t know him super well, and I asked him because I’d like to get to know him a little more. I’m nervous he agreed to come just because he wants to go to a semi-formal (and is afraid he won’t get asked by anyone else). 

How can I tell if he really likes me for me or simply likes the idea of going to the party of the semester?

HELP!

Sincerely,

A little party never hurt nobody 

Dear Elle Woods,

We’re getting to that time of year when people are scrambling to find dates. Whether it’s for semi-formals or Christmas dinner or even New Year’s Eve, everyone’s rushing to make sure they’re not alone on that special day. And it’s a stressful time for all of us … trust me, I get it.

We have to be confident in ourselves and realize that if a boy expresses intent to be with us, it probably means that, at the very least, he likes us enough as a human being to spend more than four hours with us.

These events can get boring – and truthfully – very awkward. I usually recommend taking a friend or someone who you know very well to cut the tension and quell the awkwardness, but don’t lose this opportunity to get to know this guy. It might turn out very well for the two of you and who knows? Maybe you’ll find yourself liking him more than you thought.

And if he turns out to be a douchebag of epic proportions like Warner who only got into Harvard Law because his daddy paid his way in, then just ignore him and dance the night away with your sisters. While these situations can be weird, you have to remember that at the end of the day, there are tons of people around that can act as buffers between you and your less-than-stellar date.

I’m sure he’s going to have a wonderful time with you, and if he doesn’t, then just move on to the next fraternity man. There will be lots of them at this party, and I’m sure you can find some guy on the prowl to release your sexual frustrations with.

Do yourself a favor and just move forward with this guy. Even if he’s going just to go to the party, it’s nice to have some arm candy every now and then.

Oh, and have some drinks before you get on that bus – liquid courage always helps.

Advice Columnist

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...