News, Student Organization

Art for Kids creates original artwork for charity

Junior Maria Ojeda looks at the pattern that inspired her painting during an Art for Kids meeting. During these meetings, students create different types of art that will eventually be auctioned off with all of the proceeds going to the Miami Children's Hospital. Charlotte Cushing // Staff Photographer

Junior Maria Ojeda looks at the pattern that inspired her painting during an Art for Kids meeting. During these meetings, students create different types of art that will eventually be auctioned off with all of the proceeds going to the Miami Children’s Hospital. Charlotte Cushing // Staff Photographer

During Homecoming weekend, students took time during the festivities to attend an Art for Kids event to create artwork as part of community service.

The student organization hosted its second art studio event Friday at the Levante building, where most of the university’s art classes are housed. Students created artwork for the club’s spring auction, and artistic talent was not required. Materials were provided for free.

“We bring stuff like papers and pads and canvases, and we supply all the paint,” said Kelly Baez, president and founder of Art for Kids.

Art for Kids fundraises money for Miami Children’s Hospital by creating original, hand-made art. The artwork is then sold at a spring auction, the club’s biggest event of the year.

Baez originally planned to start a nonprofit through the Launch Pad. She wanted to create an organization that incorporated creating art and donating it for a cause. She then thought about making it a community organization, and it eventually led to the creation of Art for Kids.

After the organization was approved as a campus club at the end of last spring, Art for Kids began its first semester as an official organization this semester.

Participants created anything of their liking, ranging from paintings to ceramics. The cost of the artwork at the auction will depend on the size; larger pieces will be more expensive, and smaller ones begin at $20.

“In March we’re going to have the big spring auction, where hopefully people will come, buy our artwork, and everything that we collect will go back to the Miami Children’s Hospital,” said Sara Marin, co-chair of events.

Members of the club decide what specific department of the hospital the money will go to once they approach donating time.

They are still unsure what department will be chosen this year, although the Piggy Bank Fund, a program designed to assist parents who can’t afford the medical expenses of their children’s treatment at Miami Children’s Hospital, is an option.

When they’re not painting, members also take trips to local children’s hospitals such as Holtz Children’s Hospital, the main pediatric facility at Jackson Memorial Hospital.

“We have some events coming up at Holtz where we go and do arts and crafts with the kids, and we have some book readings scheduled at the Chapman House,” Marin said. “It’s all in the downtown area, so hands-on community stuff.”

She enjoys how the hospital trips incorporate involvement with kids while allowing her to combine her career interest in medicine with her love for art.

Katherine Jordan, a senior majoring in psychology with a minor in art, is also excited to be a part of the hospital visits.

“I’m going on one in December, and I’m looking forward to it,” she said. “I’m sure it’ll be a very rewarding experience.”

Jordan became a member of Art for Kids this semester. She decided to join the organization because making art with kids is exactly what she wants to do in the future as she hopes to pursue work in art therapy. She focuses on creating mostly paintings, although she also takes photographs.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...