Basketball, Sports

‘Anxious’ Canes fall to St. Francis in overtime

Graduate student Donnavan Kirk shoots the ball during the game against St. Francis Brooklyn on Friday night. The Canes lost in overtime. Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

As the Hurricanes cracked open a new season of basketball late Friday night at the BankUnited Center, the highlight for the 6,060 in attendance came before tipoff. That’s when Miami unveiled its ACC regular season and tournament championship banners, plus one for last year’s Sweet Sixteen.

But it was all downhill from there, as visiting St. Francis stunned the Canes 66-62 in overtime.

Miami struggled mightily on offense, shooting a measly 31.1 percent from the field and missing all of its 3-point attempts – which hadn’t happened in 354 straight games.

“You can tell just [being]in the locker room, and how I feel right now. I don’t feel very good at all,” said senior forward Donnavan Kirk, who led the Canes with 16 points and 10 rebounds. “But we got a game on Monday, we got to bounce back, we got to learn from this.”

The Hurricanes started out strong defensively, stifling the opposition for long stretches and holding the Terriers without a field goal in the first five minutes. But missed opportunities on offense enabled St. Francis to hang around and even take the lead with 2:32 left in the half. Miami was down 27-26 at the break.

“I think our defense started to struggle when our offense was just not producing any points, and unfortunately that’s an area that we know the inexperience is there,” coach Jim Larranaga said.

Despite falling behind by as many as seven points, Miami tied the game on a last-second spinning layup by senior guard Garrius Adams. It was one of the few times the struggling Adams – who shot 4-for-18 from the field and 0-for-8 from 3-point range – could exert his will on the Terriers.

Aside from a 58-58 tie at the three-minute mark, St. Francis led the Canes for the whole overtime. Miami still had a chance to win at the end when a potential go-ahead 3-pointer from Davon Reed rimmed out with seven seconds to play.

“We were way too anxious to start the game,” Larranaga said. “If we had played tonight like we practiced yesterday, we would’ve, I think, played so much better.”

The absence of freshman guard Deandre Burnett, out with a wrist injury, also contributed to the scoring woes.

“We have fewer weapons than we’ve ever had,” Larranaga said. “Last year, six guys could score in double figures on a given night. Now, we don’t have anybody who averaged over six points a game in their college career. So we’re going to have a hard time manufacturing points.”

Unfortunately, the Canes don’t have much time to fix their problems on offense with a home game against Georgia Southern looming at 7 p.m. Monday.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...