Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Danish resistance story breaks WWII movie mold

Flame and Citron“Flame and Citron” -Denmark – available on Netflix instant watch and Amazon Prime

By showcasing the efforts of two Danish resistance assassins who risked their lives to sabotage the Nazi occupation of Denmark, Flame and Citron elegantly reverses the typical WWII movie in this action drama based on true events.

With short, expertly-timed breathing moments, the intense two hour drama is not easy to assimilate, yet for the same reason it is a worthwhile experience. Instead of gratuitous blood-shed, the isolated bursts of violence serve a purpose: to show that this wasn’t a sleek, sexy job à la 007. No, it was a messy one – one that interfered with their personal lives, and distorted the images they had of themselves.

Despite their determination to eliminate strategic Nazis, Flame and Citron, as the two assassins are affectionately called by their fans, constantly rely on their conscience to judge situations, instead of following orders.

It is their confusion in crisis moments that renders them human and makes the audience empathize with their cause.

Dramatic music would be too warm for such a terrible time – instead the occasional violins are minimalistic, used only to enhance the suspense. This holding back allows the sound effects – chilling gun shots, skidding get-away-car tires – to do their job.

The sound most effective at triggering emotion however is Flame’s narrating voice throughout. Instead of wishy-washy, his crisp Danish words are the backbone of the movie – the link between audience and character. And with its poetic resonance, the narration complements the dialogue, which is as edgy as the storyline.

Luisa Andonie

At 9:17 p.m. Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz, who these days doubles as a Hur ...

With just 14 more shopping days before National Signing Day, here’s where the Hurricanes stand with ...

Manny Diaz’s coaching staff for the Miami Hurricanes is finally set. Less than three weeks after he ...

There’s at least a chance this might not be the final season watching a Wade perform on a large Sout ...

The one major hole missing on Manny Diaz’s staff until Friday was the lockdown ace recruiter. The ne ...

A large area of low pressure and arctic air swirling above the North Pole fractured and split into t ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Daevenia Achong of the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team reeled in a pair of ACC accolades, as a ...

University of Miami sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera, ranked No. 21 on the Oracle/ITA singles list, g ...

Following a one-week absence, the Miami women's basketball team reentered the top 25 of the USA ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...