Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

Danish resistance story breaks WWII movie mold

Flame and Citron“Flame and Citron” -Denmark – available on Netflix instant watch and Amazon Prime

By showcasing the efforts of two Danish resistance assassins who risked their lives to sabotage the Nazi occupation of Denmark, Flame and Citron elegantly reverses the typical WWII movie in this action drama based on true events.

With short, expertly-timed breathing moments, the intense two hour drama is not easy to assimilate, yet for the same reason it is a worthwhile experience. Instead of gratuitous blood-shed, the isolated bursts of violence serve a purpose: to show that this wasn’t a sleek, sexy job à la 007. No, it was a messy one – one that interfered with their personal lives, and distorted the images they had of themselves.

Despite their determination to eliminate strategic Nazis, Flame and Citron, as the two assassins are affectionately called by their fans, constantly rely on their conscience to judge situations, instead of following orders.

It is their confusion in crisis moments that renders them human and makes the audience empathize with their cause.

Dramatic music would be too warm for such a terrible time – instead the occasional violins are minimalistic, used only to enhance the suspense. This holding back allows the sound effects – chilling gun shots, skidding get-away-car tires – to do their job.

The sound most effective at triggering emotion however is Flame’s narrating voice throughout. Instead of wishy-washy, his crisp Danish words are the backbone of the movie – the link between audience and character. And with its poetic resonance, the narration complements the dialogue, which is as edgy as the storyline.

Luisa Andonie

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...