Campus Life, News

Richter exhibit revives Miami’s past

“Southern Suns and Sky-Blue Waters” is not just the first line from the University of Miami’s alma mater but also the title of the new Homecoming exhibit in Richter Library.

The exhibit showcases athletics, student life and events on campus from the 1960s, 1980s and millennial years.

It includes nine glass cases and four wall panels spread throughout the first and second floor.

Students can peer in and read about artifacts, pictures and sports memorabilia that defined UM throughout these three decades.

“We wanted to have something that would attract both alumni and students and yet have topics that have to work together,” said Koichi Tasa, a university archivist for Richter’s Special Collections.

Tasa had three months to put the exhibit together. He used archived issues of The Miami Hurricane to depict each decade.

The issues helped put together the history of events like the building of Pavia Garage and Carni Gras before being replaced by International Week.

The displays also feature facts that are rarely known to students. Tasa wanted to highlight, for example, the female athletes such as basketball player Maria Rivera who set the record with 106 steals. Other less known sports records in swimming, diving, tennis, and track and field are mentioned.

The inspiration to include so many unknown facts about the university is for students who “10 years from now can see how this school used to be,” Tasa said.

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...