Campus Life, News

Richter exhibit revives Miami’s past

“Southern Suns and Sky-Blue Waters” is not just the first line from the University of Miami’s alma mater but also the title of the new Homecoming exhibit in Richter Library.

The exhibit showcases athletics, student life and events on campus from the 1960s, 1980s and millennial years.

It includes nine glass cases and four wall panels spread throughout the first and second floor.

Students can peer in and read about artifacts, pictures and sports memorabilia that defined UM throughout these three decades.

“We wanted to have something that would attract both alumni and students and yet have topics that have to work together,” said Koichi Tasa, a university archivist for Richter’s Special Collections.

Tasa had three months to put the exhibit together. He used archived issues of The Miami Hurricane to depict each decade.

The issues helped put together the history of events like the building of Pavia Garage and Carni Gras before being replaced by International Week.

The displays also feature facts that are rarely known to students. Tasa wanted to highlight, for example, the female athletes such as basketball player Maria Rivera who set the record with 106 steals. Other less known sports records in swimming, diving, tennis, and track and field are mentioned.

The inspiration to include so many unknown facts about the university is for students who “10 years from now can see how this school used to be,” Tasa said.

Alina Zerpa

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...