Make it your business to be risky

We’re taught when we’re young that winners never quit and quitters never win.

Nonetheless, more Americans are quitting their jobs, TIME magazine reported on Oct. 31.

The article referenced a recent study by the U.S. employment firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc. and went on to explain why this trend is a good thing. Economically, it’s a positive sign because labor mobility is an indicator of a strengthening market.

College graduates entering the job market feel lucky to even have a job. So is it OK to just up and quit?

It may seem like quitting forgoes practicality for job satisfaction, but being truthful with oneself is, in fact, both satisfying and practical.

If a job doesn’t make you happy or you don’t find the work you’re doing to be fulfilling, then it’s best to leave and find another job – even if it’s in that order.

It can be scary to quit when you don’t have a new job secured. It may seem unwise, even foolish.

Yes, being responsible about money is important, but psychological health in terms of personal satisfaction and professional mobility is also important ­­– if not more so.

Unhappiness in the workplace becomes apparent and places unnecessary stress on yourself and coworkers. Know that, if you’re a recent college graduate, at least you’re in the wrong place at the right time – the right time to quit.

Being fresh out of college means the world is filled with possibilities. Now is the best time to make risky professional moves that hopefully lead to the right career.

Just as with internships, our first few years in the workforce are critical for discovering what exactly it is that we excel in and enjoy.

It’s worth taking the risk to figure out where we want to be while there are still plenty of opportunities out there. And it’s much easier to do so now, when we don’t have to take care of anyone but ourselves.

There’s a psychological phenomenon known as “escalation of commitment to a failing course of action.” The more time, money or effort you’ve already put into something, the more you will justify sticking with it. The key is realizing when it’s OK to quit.

Quitting can help us figure out what job we actually want to have, sooner rather than later. We won’t be stuck in the wrong place – at the wrong time – for the long haul.

If a job becomes a burden and there is no room to grow: Move on to something better.

Other Americans have realized that quitters can win. While recent college graduates shouldn’t make a hobby of job-hopping, they shouldn’t be afraid to take risks.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Day Two of spring practice began at about 9 a.m. or thereafter on Wednesday at the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Prosecutors have released video that shows ex-University of Miami star running back Mark Walton snat ...

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

The University of Miami's Raheem Chambers was named the ACC Men's Outdoor Track Performer ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...