Make it your business to be risky

We’re taught when we’re young that winners never quit and quitters never win.

Nonetheless, more Americans are quitting their jobs, TIME magazine reported on Oct. 31.

The article referenced a recent study by the U.S. employment firm Challenger, Gray & Christmas, Inc. and went on to explain why this trend is a good thing. Economically, it’s a positive sign because labor mobility is an indicator of a strengthening market.

College graduates entering the job market feel lucky to even have a job. So is it OK to just up and quit?

It may seem like quitting forgoes practicality for job satisfaction, but being truthful with oneself is, in fact, both satisfying and practical.

If a job doesn’t make you happy or you don’t find the work you’re doing to be fulfilling, then it’s best to leave and find another job – even if it’s in that order.

It can be scary to quit when you don’t have a new job secured. It may seem unwise, even foolish.

Yes, being responsible about money is important, but psychological health in terms of personal satisfaction and professional mobility is also important ­­– if not more so.

Unhappiness in the workplace becomes apparent and places unnecessary stress on yourself and coworkers. Know that, if you’re a recent college graduate, at least you’re in the wrong place at the right time – the right time to quit.

Being fresh out of college means the world is filled with possibilities. Now is the best time to make risky professional moves that hopefully lead to the right career.

Just as with internships, our first few years in the workforce are critical for discovering what exactly it is that we excel in and enjoy.

It’s worth taking the risk to figure out where we want to be while there are still plenty of opportunities out there. And it’s much easier to do so now, when we don’t have to take care of anyone but ourselves.

There’s a psychological phenomenon known as “escalation of commitment to a failing course of action.” The more time, money or effort you’ve already put into something, the more you will justify sticking with it. The key is realizing when it’s OK to quit.

Quitting can help us figure out what job we actually want to have, sooner rather than later. We won’t be stuck in the wrong place – at the wrong time – for the long haul.

If a job becomes a burden and there is no room to grow: Move on to something better.

Other Americans have realized that quitters can win. While recent college graduates shouldn’t make a hobby of job-hopping, they shouldn’t be afraid to take risks.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...