Football, Sports

Golden optimistic Miami can adjust without Johnson

Miami is prepping for another showdown, but it’s missing a deadly weapon – the injured Duke Johnson.

On Saturday, the No. 11 Hurricanes (7-1, 3-1 ACC) take on Virginia Tech (6-3, 3-2 ACC) at Sun Life Stadium in a matchup that has created several memorable moments over the years.

Miami leads the overall series 18-12, and the Canes are 11-5 at home against the Hokies.

The game also marks Miami’s 79th Homecoming contest. The Hurricanes are 50-26-2 on Homecoming, including a 2-2 mark versus Virginia Tech.

But without Johnson’s go-to yardage, the Miami offense needs to pull its scoring from other sources. Lucky for the Canes, they have another capable sophomore running back named Dallas Crawford.

Crawford is averaging a touchdown every 7.5 offensive touches. Coach Al Golden acknowledged that Crawford’s role on special teams might also be impacted in Johnson’s absence.

“We have to pull him back a little bit,” said Golden, because as Crawford’s overall touches climb, his appearances on special teams will be limited. “That means Jamal Carter, Jermaine Grace, guys like that need to step up and do a great job for us. We’ll do that.”

Golden said the Canes are prepared to adjust.

“We’ve added Gus Edwards and those guys to some other units,” he said. “Certainly Eduardo [Clements] and Dallas are two of our better special teams players and we’ve had to pull back on some of their reps because of how many reps they’ll be getting on first, second and third down.”

The Hurricanes will look to Stephen Morris for answers in the air. Morris is fourth on Miami’s career passing list and is one of only seven 6,000-yard passers in program history. The senior has surpassed Pro Football Hall of Famer Jim Kelly, former NFL quarterbacks Steve Walsh, Kyle Wright, Bernie Kosar, Ryan Clement, Craig Erickson and Heisman Trophy winner Vinny Testaverde.

His most consistent target, senior Allen Hurns, is on pace to crack Miami’s top 10 lists for career receptions (92) and career receiving yards (1,319). Hurns is tied for 10th in career touchdowns with 12.

But the Hokies stand as the most formidable ACC opponent left on the schedule after last week’s trip to face the Seminoles.

“Virginia Tech has won seven of the last 10 against us,” Golden said. “They’re 4-2 in their last six trips to Miami. They know what’s coming into town – this is a tough, rugged team that’s built on playing hard-nosed defense and running to the ball. I think they have 28 sacks, so being disruptive. They’ve always been great on special teams. We know what we’re in for. But I also think the guys know there’s a plot to play for here in November. As much as it was a painful loss for us the other night, we really have to move forward quickly.”

Kristen Spillane

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...