Campus Life, News, Profiles

Cultural Creole icon performs at USpeak

Mecca a.k.a. Grimo, a spoken word poet and musician of Haitian descent, performed at U Speak's event on Tuesday night. He captivated students with a sample of his powerful work featuring personal stories and the use of kreyòl. Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

Mecca a.k.a. Grimo, a spoken word poet and musician of Haitian descent, performed at U Speak’s event on Tuesday night. He captivated students with a sample of his powerful work featuring personal stories and the use of kreyòl. Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

Spoken word poet and musician Mecca, also known as Grimo, performed at the USpeak Open Verse and Short Story open-mic event Tuesday night.

At USpeak, participants can read their written works and play their music, and the performances are open to the public. The University of Miami literary journal, Mangrove, hosted the poetry readings.

Mecca performed three different spoken word poems in the second floor of the University Center. His love for music in conjunction with his love for his Haitian heritage helped him transform his art into a vehicle of hope and pride

“My poetry is how I express myself,” he said. “Just like a painter and his canvas. My words are my brush.”

His first single, “Ayisien,” was a Creole remix of an American rap song that received major rotation on mainstream radio. Ever since, Mecca has been an icon for the Hip Hop Creole movement.

Mecca’s poetry is inspired by his Haitian heritage. During the event, he described the discrimination he faced growing up and wanted to dissolve prevalent stereotypes about Haitian culture.

“So I started to research, document, archive historical events and facts that may have fell through the cracks,” he said. “No longer will I hide behind these silly stereotypes that would denounce the legacy of my ancestors. Now I was conducting educational workshops for the youth that once felt like me. I wasn’t born in Haiti … but Haiti was born in me.”

Mecca’s love for poetry blossomed at a young age, especially after he moved to Miami from the Bronx. Thirsty for knowledge and understanding its power, he immersed himself in reading and writing.

“Knowledge is power, but without the mind, knowledge is blind,” Mecca said. “I’ve always looked at myself as a messenger, whenever there was a lack of information the Griots would retell the story and reinterpret the message for the people.”

Griots are West African orators, performing poems and telling stories about their heritage.

Mecca feels that the most important aspect of his poetry is “the message.”

“Whatever the message is in that particular piece, it’s always been the message that drives me in particular,” he said. “It’s not just words that I put together, but it’s inspired by incidents, thoughts, emotions and experiences.”

David O'Connell

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...