Campus Life, News, Profiles

Cultural Creole icon performs at USpeak

Mecca a.k.a. Grimo, a spoken word poet and musician of Haitian descent, performed at U Speak's event on Tuesday night. He captivated students with a sample of his powerful work featuring personal stories and the use of kreyòl. Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

Mecca a.k.a. Grimo, a spoken word poet and musician of Haitian descent, performed at U Speak’s event on Tuesday night. He captivated students with a sample of his powerful work featuring personal stories and the use of kreyòl. Becca Magrino // Contributing Photographer

Spoken word poet and musician Mecca, also known as Grimo, performed at the USpeak Open Verse and Short Story open-mic event Tuesday night.

At USpeak, participants can read their written works and play their music, and the performances are open to the public. The University of Miami literary journal, Mangrove, hosted the poetry readings.

Mecca performed three different spoken word poems in the second floor of the University Center. His love for music in conjunction with his love for his Haitian heritage helped him transform his art into a vehicle of hope and pride

“My poetry is how I express myself,” he said. “Just like a painter and his canvas. My words are my brush.”

His first single, “Ayisien,” was a Creole remix of an American rap song that received major rotation on mainstream radio. Ever since, Mecca has been an icon for the Hip Hop Creole movement.

Mecca’s poetry is inspired by his Haitian heritage. During the event, he described the discrimination he faced growing up and wanted to dissolve prevalent stereotypes about Haitian culture.

“So I started to research, document, archive historical events and facts that may have fell through the cracks,” he said. “No longer will I hide behind these silly stereotypes that would denounce the legacy of my ancestors. Now I was conducting educational workshops for the youth that once felt like me. I wasn’t born in Haiti … but Haiti was born in me.”

Mecca’s love for poetry blossomed at a young age, especially after he moved to Miami from the Bronx. Thirsty for knowledge and understanding its power, he immersed himself in reading and writing.

“Knowledge is power, but without the mind, knowledge is blind,” Mecca said. “I’ve always looked at myself as a messenger, whenever there was a lack of information the Griots would retell the story and reinterpret the message for the people.”

Griots are West African orators, performing poems and telling stories about their heritage.

Mecca feels that the most important aspect of his poetry is “the message.”

“Whatever the message is in that particular piece, it’s always been the message that drives me in particular,” he said. “It’s not just words that I put together, but it’s inspired by incidents, thoughts, emotions and experiences.”

David O'Connell

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...