Soccer, Sports, Volleyball

Sports Briefs 11/4

Soccer

The Hurricanes earned a dramatic victory on Senior Night at Cobb Stadium.

On Thursday, Miami faced Clemson in the regular season finale, coming away with a 2-1 win.

Seniors Tara Schwitter and Blake Stockton were honored before the game.

Stockton scored first for Miami in the 86th minute.

Freshman forward Cortney O’Connell then provided the heroics when she knocked in a strike with her left foot as time wound down in regulation.

“I saw the ball coming to her and in my head I kept saying to myself, ‘Hit it one time, hit it one time, hit it one time,’” said coach Mary-Frances Monroe, explaining the urgency of O’Connell’s kick. “All season we had joked with her because she hadn’t struck a ball well with her left foot. She couldn’t have hit it any better today.”

Rowing

The Miami rowing team made the most of its only regatta on the fall schedule.

The Canes finished third among ACC teams at the “Head of the Hooch” in Chattanooga, Tenn., from Friday to Sunday.

Miami raced two crews in the Women’s Open 8+ including the winning “A” squad.

The “B” squad finished 21st out of 38 boats.

“Both boats were able to grind away and take some quality strokes,” coach Dave Sanderson said. “It was great to cap off the weekend with another win.”

Overall, the UM team recorded four top-10 finishes throughout the weekend.

Volleyball

It was a big weekend for Miami volleyball. The Canes (15-7, 8-4 ACC) notched two wins over N.C. State and UNC.

First, Miami swept the Wolfpack aside in three sets at the Knight Sports Complex.

On Sunday, however, five sets were needed to dispatch the Tar Heels: 21-25, 25-18, 19-25, 25-22, 15-10 in Miami’s favor.

Senior Alex Johnson had 12 digs and 12 kills, surpassing 1,000 career kills in the process.

Coach Jose Gandara was pleased with Johnson’s performance and her offensive milestone.

“She is a steady player for us,” he said. “We need her to do a lot of things. She digs, attacks, passes, serves and blocks. She faces tough matchups all the time and still succeeds. It’s awesome. She’s had a long career here and played a lot of matches. We hope she has a couple more in her.”

Miami will hit the road for a pair of games later this week. The Canes face Virginia Tech on Friday and Virginia on Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...