Soccer, Sports, Volleyball

Sports Briefs 11/4

Soccer

The Hurricanes earned a dramatic victory on Senior Night at Cobb Stadium.

On Thursday, Miami faced Clemson in the regular season finale, coming away with a 2-1 win.

Seniors Tara Schwitter and Blake Stockton were honored before the game.

Stockton scored first for Miami in the 86th minute.

Freshman forward Cortney O’Connell then provided the heroics when she knocked in a strike with her left foot as time wound down in regulation.

“I saw the ball coming to her and in my head I kept saying to myself, ‘Hit it one time, hit it one time, hit it one time,’” said coach Mary-Frances Monroe, explaining the urgency of O’Connell’s kick. “All season we had joked with her because she hadn’t struck a ball well with her left foot. She couldn’t have hit it any better today.”

Rowing

The Miami rowing team made the most of its only regatta on the fall schedule.

The Canes finished third among ACC teams at the “Head of the Hooch” in Chattanooga, Tenn., from Friday to Sunday.

Miami raced two crews in the Women’s Open 8+ including the winning “A” squad.

The “B” squad finished 21st out of 38 boats.

“Both boats were able to grind away and take some quality strokes,” coach Dave Sanderson said. “It was great to cap off the weekend with another win.”

Overall, the UM team recorded four top-10 finishes throughout the weekend.

Volleyball

It was a big weekend for Miami volleyball. The Canes (15-7, 8-4 ACC) notched two wins over N.C. State and UNC.

First, Miami swept the Wolfpack aside in three sets at the Knight Sports Complex.

On Sunday, however, five sets were needed to dispatch the Tar Heels: 21-25, 25-18, 19-25, 25-22, 15-10 in Miami’s favor.

Senior Alex Johnson had 12 digs and 12 kills, surpassing 1,000 career kills in the process.

Coach Jose Gandara was pleased with Johnson’s performance and her offensive milestone.

“She is a steady player for us,” he said. “We need her to do a lot of things. She digs, attacks, passes, serves and blocks. She faces tough matchups all the time and still succeeds. It’s awesome. She’s had a long career here and played a lot of matches. We hope she has a couple more in her.”

Miami will hit the road for a pair of games later this week. The Canes face Virginia Tech on Friday and Virginia on Saturday.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

No. 42 Adria Soriano Barrera collects top-25 victory against No. 21 Alexis Galarneau ...

Check out the UM Department of Athletics' e-magazine for April. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team advanced to play fourth-seeded NC State Friday at 3 ...