Treat each day like a holiday

H

appy National [Insert Bizarre Miscellaneous Noun Here] Day!

If you’ve ever read a children’s book, you can recount one mentioning a “snow day.” Snow blankets the world, inspiring children to forgo thoughts of school and instead drink steaming cups of cocoa or lie in the white fluff to create angels.

What about birthdays? Children awake full of glee to spend time with their friends, eat frosted cake and open presents. But, really, it is just another day. One of the 365 in the year.

It’s hard to believe, but there’s only one thing that distinguishes these special days from the other 364 – you know, those days when we awake with a groan, drag our feet to brush our teeth and feel a sense of dread in the pits of our stomachs about our upcoming exams.

What makes a holiday different than any other day? It is your perspective or outlook.

I have a proposal: Let’s awake each morning, looking at each new day as a holiday. With outstretched arms, ready to seize the day’s beauty, we can chant carpe diem rather than curse our alarms.

Call it what you may: wearing rose-colored glasses, looking on the bright side, seeing the glass half full – or just plain balogna.

Think about the amount of time you spend on activities that don’t make you happy. If the percentage is close to 50, know that you have the power to change that.

Ultimately, it’s not really about National Kale Day, College Radio Day, Coffee Day or even birthdays. It’s all about perspective.

Live your life with passion. Be happy. It’s such a simple statement, yet it’s the ongoing quest of every individual.

Something wonderful happens every day – whether it is as small as someone complimenting your shirt or as fulfilling as earning an A on a difficult exam. You may not even know the act’s significance until the day concludes, but I guarantee that being open to the possibilities is a step in the right direction.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...