Students volunteer during Homecoming

For the first year in its history, Hurricanes Help the Hometown (HHTH) will host an on-campus service event on Tuesday because of Saturday’s football game against Florida State University. The event is usually held on the weekend.

As part of the service day, HHTH is taking on a new challenge in the fight against world hunger. On Tuesday, student and community volunteers will package 40,000 meals for school lunch programs in developing countries as part of hunger relief organization Stop Hunger Now. The dehydrated, high-protein and nutritious meals will be shipped to other countries.

Hurricanes Help the Hometown, University of Miami’s longest standing service day, is an annual event during Homecoming during which UM students, faculty, alumni and staff give their time to different agencies around the community. Students volunteering off campus are bused to their volunteer locations the day of the event.

HHTH began its collaboration with Students Together Ending Poverty (STEP) when the organization became aware of a Stop Hunger Now meal-packaging event on campus that prepared 10,000 meals. With the sponsorship, their goal is to raise the number of meals prepared to 40,000.

SHN representative Renee Reneau has been working with the organization since senior year of high school.

“It is an absolutely amazing organization,” Reneau said.

SHN allows groups to host meal-packaging events for 25 cents per meal, Reneau said. The meals are shipped to community partners in countries in need, usually through school lunch programs.

Employees from Stop Hunger Now will drive a truck to campus from its warehouse in Orlando with raw materials such as rice, vegetables and soy to package, which will be used to prepare meals. The group will find out which countries the lunches were sent to four to five weeks after Homecoming.

Students are welcome to volunteer at the event in the SAC Activities Center Ballroom, in one-hour shifts from noon to 8 p.m. Both preregistered teams competing in Homecoming and walk-up volunteers are welcome the day of the event.

Junior Joy Emma Martin is excited to work on Tuesday.

“I’m looking forward to participating in Hurricanes Help the Hometown, not only because there is no such tradition in U.K. universities, but also to make a difference through service events,” she said.

Committee Vice Chair Niurka Monteserin also encourages students to volunteer for other events as well. There will be a letter writing station to write notes to sick children in Miami area hospitals. There will also be a book drive.

“We look forward to Tuesday … and encourage everyone to come out and help make an impact,” Monteserin said.

The Hurricanes Help the Hometown event is co-sponsored by Catholic Campus Ministry, the William R. Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development, the Department of Student Activities and Student Organizations, Students Together Ending Poverty (STEP) and Delta Sigma Pi.

What: Hurricanes Help the Hometown’s meal-packing event

Where: SAC Center Ballroom

When: Noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday

For more information on Homecoming and for a complete schedule of events, visit facebook.com/UMHomecoming.

Layla Haidrani

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...