Passion Pit to perform at Coastline Festival

What started as a belated Valentine’s Day gift to Passion Pit lead singer Michael Angelakos’ girlfriend at the time, soon evolved into a band that has played festivals like Ultra and Coachella, and whose songs have been featured in films like “Carrie.”

On Sunday, the band will headline Coastline Festival on Sunday in West Palm Beach.

The synthpop band has had the opportunity to perform at several festivals as well as headline their own shows. Keyboardist and guitarist Ian Hultquist said he enjoys both, but finds festivals a little nerve-wracking.

“I love going to festivals,”  said. “But there are so many things that can go wrong, so I kind of find comfort in our own shows. But I still think festivals are super cool and they’re always fun.”

The group was in Ultra Music Festival’s 2010 lineup. Since then, they have played festivals like Coachella.

“I thought, as far as dance festivals go, it was really cool,” Hultquist said. “It’s just not really the scene that we usually play to.”

Passion Pit’s success came rather quickly. After forming in 2007, the band released its first studio album in 2009, which included hits like “Sleepyhead.” Its second studio album, “Gossamer,” was released in 2012 and includes popular tracks like “Take A Walk” and “I’ll Be Alright.” Some of these songs have been featured in commercials, TV shows and movies.

“It’s a great thing, the fact that your music can reach so many different people, like that is really cool,” Hultquist said.

Angelakos has written and composed every track on both of the group’s albums. He also penned a recent blog post on Passion Pit’s website – passionpitmusic.com – that caused a bit of a stir. After several musicians cancelled shows for various reasons, Angelakos published a post about why bands cancel shows, and he aimed to clarify certain misconceptions about how the music industry works. However, some readers weren’t accepting of what the musician was trying to communicate, which led to a follow-up blog post.

“I think a lot of people don’t realize how many different factors go into putting on a show,” Hultquist said. “There are so many different people involved … Michael just kind of wanted to share a different side of how things are and I’m actually kind of glad it came out.”

VCJUM081104

COASTLINE FESTIVAL

Where: Cruzan Amphitheatre,

601 Sansburys Way, West Palm Beach

When: Noon on Sunday, Nov. 10

FOR MORE INFORMATION visit coastlinefestival.com.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...