News, Profiles

CBS icon to share advice with students

CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves will be at the University of Miami on Monday. During his visit, he will discuss his career in television and share his insight with students and faculty.

When Moonves joined CBS in 1995, he developed shows like “Everybody Loves Raymond,” “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and “Survivor.” He is credited with launching shows like “Friends” and “ER” during his time as president of Warner Bros. Television.

He was named president and CEO of CBS Corporation in 2006 and helped make CBS the most-watched network in America. “NCIS,” “The Big Bang Theory” and “60 Minutes” are all rated No. 1 in television drama, comedy and news program, respectively.

“He took CBS from the cellar to the ceiling,” said Ellen Fleysher, chair in broadcast journalism and electronic media at the School of Communication (SoC). “His leadership at CBS is marked by his extraordinary programming skills and creative instinct.”

According to the CBS website, international syndication sales have made a significant impact to the company’s revenue under Moonves’ leadership. The company has made deals with large distributors like Netflix and Amazon.

“The industry is changing very fast … there are so many decisions being taken right now,” journalism professor Yves Colon said. “And Les Moonves is sitting at the table making all kinds of decisions … CBS just signed a contract with Netflix where you can see ‘Dexter’ now, you don’t have to have Showtime …”

As chief executive officer, Moonves oversees other company operations like the CBS Television Network, CBS Sports Network, Showtime Networks and the CW.

“This is somebody that you can hear from who is very connected to the industry,” Colon said. “But I think more than that, we are setting very good relationships with CBS, and this is going to mean something for our students now and in the long run for people who want to do internships and so forth.”

Moonves will participate in two forums during his visit – first a morning conversation with Paul Driscoll, vice dean of SoC, on the future of broadcast network television and an afternoon session on the entrepreneurial spirit at CBS. The latter talk will take place during a class on media start-ups by professor Ana Francois.

“Mr. Moonves’ visit provides a tremendous opportunity for our students, faculty and staff to hear and learn from one of the giants of the television industry,” said SoC Dean Gregory Shepherd in a UM Media Relations press release. “We couldn’t be more grateful or more excited.”

What: Leslie Moonves’ visit

When: “The Future of Broadcast Journalism” discussion at 10:10 a.m. Monday; “Entrepreneurship” talk  at 2:30 p.m. Monday

Where: School of Communication’s Shoma Hall (CIB 3053)

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...