News, Profiles

CBS icon to share advice with students

CBS Chief Executive Leslie Moonves will be at the University of Miami on Monday. During his visit, he will discuss his career in television and share his insight with students and faculty.

When Moonves joined CBS in 1995, he developed shows like “Everybody Loves Raymond,” “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation” and “Survivor.” He is credited with launching shows like “Friends” and “ER” during his time as president of Warner Bros. Television.

He was named president and CEO of CBS Corporation in 2006 and helped make CBS the most-watched network in America. “NCIS,” “The Big Bang Theory” and “60 Minutes” are all rated No. 1 in television drama, comedy and news program, respectively.

“He took CBS from the cellar to the ceiling,” said Ellen Fleysher, chair in broadcast journalism and electronic media at the School of Communication (SoC). “His leadership at CBS is marked by his extraordinary programming skills and creative instinct.”

According to the CBS website, international syndication sales have made a significant impact to the company’s revenue under Moonves’ leadership. The company has made deals with large distributors like Netflix and Amazon.

“The industry is changing very fast … there are so many decisions being taken right now,” journalism professor Yves Colon said. “And Les Moonves is sitting at the table making all kinds of decisions … CBS just signed a contract with Netflix where you can see ‘Dexter’ now, you don’t have to have Showtime …”

As chief executive officer, Moonves oversees other company operations like the CBS Television Network, CBS Sports Network, Showtime Networks and the CW.

“This is somebody that you can hear from who is very connected to the industry,” Colon said. “But I think more than that, we are setting very good relationships with CBS, and this is going to mean something for our students now and in the long run for people who want to do internships and so forth.”

Moonves will participate in two forums during his visit – first a morning conversation with Paul Driscoll, vice dean of SoC, on the future of broadcast network television and an afternoon session on the entrepreneurial spirit at CBS. The latter talk will take place during a class on media start-ups by professor Ana Francois.

“Mr. Moonves’ visit provides a tremendous opportunity for our students, faculty and staff to hear and learn from one of the giants of the television industry,” said SoC Dean Gregory Shepherd in a UM Media Relations press release. “We couldn’t be more grateful or more excited.”

What: Leslie Moonves’ visit

When: “The Future of Broadcast Journalism” discussion at 10:10 a.m. Monday; “Entrepreneurship” talk  at 2:30 p.m. Monday

Where: School of Communication’s Shoma Hall (CIB 3053)

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...