Appreciate online expression in U.S.

These days, everyone has some sort of online outlet for expression, whether it is a blog, Facebook profile or Twitter account, social media lets us share whatever we want, whenever we want.

But what if you truly had to think before you pressed the “enter” key?

A journalist in China was recently arrested for posting about the alleged corruption of certain government officials on his blog.

This made me think of all the times I’ve scrolled through my Facebook newsfeed and found countless posts criticizing the government – from “I wish people in Congress would let go of their egos and come to an agreement” to “OBAMA SUCKS I’M MOVING TOO CANADA.”

No matter the content, no matter the truth or falsity, no matter the grammatical errors, everyone in the United States is allowed to speak their minds, provided they are not endangering anybody by doing so.

Unfortunately, the same does not go for the citizens of China. The arrested journalist, Liu Hu, was charged with defamation and had his posts deleted.

News analysts call the charge a speech crime and consider it part of the Chinese government’s recent campaign to tighten control over the Internet.

In a separate case, four people were arrested for posting about government dissatisfaction on a social media forum. Several other journalists and a high-profile blogger were also arrested for their online writings.

The new Internet guidelines are meant to crack down on “rumor-mongering.” Many believe it is a tool being used by the ruling Communist Party to cut down on criticism and control Internet opinions.

China’s lack of freedom of expression contributes to a closed society that stifles new ideas and healthy communal debate: two factors that are essential for progress in a country.

In contrast, Americans’ freedom to exchange ideas is the key to our nation’s growth. Being allowed to question the government sheds light on issues that may need to be addressed. It’s the gateway to positive change.

Remember when President Obama was elected and people wrote posts and made memes calling him an “Islamic terrorist?” And then all those people were arrested and charged for doing so? Yeah, me neither.

So keep posting, my fellow Internet-users, because whether it be your criticism of the government or your cat wearing hipster glasses, you’re safe here in the states.

And I’m thankful for that freedom to press enter.

Melanie Martinez is a sophomore majoring in journalism.

Melanie Martinez

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...