Give yourself a break from perfectionism

Anyone who knows me would say I have a healthy diet. Given I prefer Brussels sprouts over brownies, some would even call it perfect.

It is difficult to gain admittance into a top-50 university without at least an ounce of perfectionism. Miami students are brilliant, involved in innumerable clubs and organizations and aspire to change the world with their accomplishments. They are truly students who can do it all.

As an ex-gymnast, I know about the aspiration to attain a perfect “10.” But perfectionism is not fulfilling. As students, we have about five different professors – or bosses – each with his or her own expectations. It is impossible to try to live up to every one.

Take a note from our winning football team. They may currently be 7-0, but the focus is not about winning every single game. Rather, it is simply about being the best that they can be.

The next time that you are disappointed in an imperfect exam grade, give yourself a break. It’s not about living up to the expectations of your parents, professors, your harshest critic, or even your own. Because sometimes, you just have to have some Publix Premium Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream at 2 a.m. straight out of the gallon container.

Perfectionism isn’t necessarily good or bad. In fact, if you asked the perfectionist what he thinks of his perfectionism, he might tell you it’s one of the traits he’s most proud of, helping him strive toward his best. Or, as is the job interview cliché, it may be his biggest weakness.

Perfectionism isn’t fun. It just leaves you craving unattainable ice cream. Eat it.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...