Give yourself a break from perfectionism

Anyone who knows me would say I have a healthy diet. Given I prefer Brussels sprouts over brownies, some would even call it perfect.

It is difficult to gain admittance into a top-50 university without at least an ounce of perfectionism. Miami students are brilliant, involved in innumerable clubs and organizations and aspire to change the world with their accomplishments. They are truly students who can do it all.

As an ex-gymnast, I know about the aspiration to attain a perfect “10.” But perfectionism is not fulfilling. As students, we have about five different professors – or bosses – each with his or her own expectations. It is impossible to try to live up to every one.

Take a note from our winning football team. They may currently be 7-0, but the focus is not about winning every single game. Rather, it is simply about being the best that they can be.

The next time that you are disappointed in an imperfect exam grade, give yourself a break. It’s not about living up to the expectations of your parents, professors, your harshest critic, or even your own. Because sometimes, you just have to have some Publix Premium Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream at 2 a.m. straight out of the gallon container.

Perfectionism isn’t necessarily good or bad. In fact, if you asked the perfectionist what he thinks of his perfectionism, he might tell you it’s one of the traits he’s most proud of, helping him strive toward his best. Or, as is the job interview cliché, it may be his biggest weakness.

Perfectionism isn’t fun. It just leaves you craving unattainable ice cream. Eat it.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...