Give yourself a break from perfectionism

Anyone who knows me would say I have a healthy diet. Given I prefer Brussels sprouts over brownies, some would even call it perfect.

It is difficult to gain admittance into a top-50 university without at least an ounce of perfectionism. Miami students are brilliant, involved in innumerable clubs and organizations and aspire to change the world with their accomplishments. They are truly students who can do it all.

As an ex-gymnast, I know about the aspiration to attain a perfect “10.” But perfectionism is not fulfilling. As students, we have about five different professors – or bosses – each with his or her own expectations. It is impossible to try to live up to every one.

Take a note from our winning football team. They may currently be 7-0, but the focus is not about winning every single game. Rather, it is simply about being the best that they can be.

The next time that you are disappointed in an imperfect exam grade, give yourself a break. It’s not about living up to the expectations of your parents, professors, your harshest critic, or even your own. Because sometimes, you just have to have some Publix Premium Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream at 2 a.m. straight out of the gallon container.

Perfectionism isn’t necessarily good or bad. In fact, if you asked the perfectionist what he thinks of his perfectionism, he might tell you it’s one of the traits he’s most proud of, helping him strive toward his best. Or, as is the job interview cliché, it may be his biggest weakness.

Perfectionism isn’t fun. It just leaves you craving unattainable ice cream. Eat it.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...