Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Le Populaire’ pays tribute to the ’50s with standout scenery

Populaire movie“Le Populaire” // France – available for instant streaming on Netflix

Set in the 1950s, when the typewriter revolutionized the meaning of the modern woman, “Le Populaire” follows the comic turn of events that lead a clumsy, small-town girl to compete for the title of fastest typist. Thanks to its charming tribute to the ’50s – everything from flouncy dresses to TV commercials is delightfully pink – it is not bogged down by feminist implications.

The story is relevant to any era: It simply illustrates the joys of perfecting a task, which is too easily dismissed as trivial.

Like the rigorous training that the secretary in the movie undergoes, the movie is rigorous in its loyalty to the ’50s. Its careful choice of waltz-jazz songs, ballet-inspired gestures and cute dialogue are references to the great films of the era. Despite not having any musical numbers, the movie floats with the same levity as the classic musical “Singing in the Rain” – only instead of tap shoes and dancing feet, “Le Populaire” indulges in the sound of type keys and shows off dancing hands.

Orchestrated as tightly as a staged dance, with every minimal gesture planned out with the mission to charm in mind, “Le Populaire” is difficult not to fall for immediately from the opening scene.

Luisa Andonie

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...