News Briefs 10/31

Pitch competition 

The Launch Pad will host the 2013 Elevator Pitch Competition as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week. Students who are running a business in South Florida and who are 16 or older and currently attending high school or a degree-granting college may enter the Student Pitch Contest.  Community entrepreneurs may also submit in the Community Pitch Contest category. Online submissions are due Sunday at thelaunchpad.org./pitchcontest.

Water Project site

The Net Zero Water Treatment System Public Tour will be at 5:30 p.m. Friday to show the kind of research the university is conducting to develop design principles for low-energy, low-emissions, net-zero water buildings. The tour will take place at the University Village courtyard and the Albenga Garage. To reserve a spot, contact netzerowaterdorm@miami.edu.

Blood drive

Beginning Monday, students, faculty, staff, administrators and other employees may donate blood in the SAC Ballrooms from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day until Wednesday.

Homecoming 

The final round of the Homecoming King and Queen competition will at 8 p.m. Monday in the SAC Ballrooms . Eight men and eight women will compete for the “Mr. & Ms. U-Ville” king and queen crowns.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...