News Briefs 10/31

Pitch competition 

The Launch Pad will host the 2013 Elevator Pitch Competition as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week. Students who are running a business in South Florida and who are 16 or older and currently attending high school or a degree-granting college may enter the Student Pitch Contest.  Community entrepreneurs may also submit in the Community Pitch Contest category. Online submissions are due Sunday at thelaunchpad.org./pitchcontest.

Water Project site

The Net Zero Water Treatment System Public Tour will be at 5:30 p.m. Friday to show the kind of research the university is conducting to develop design principles for low-energy, low-emissions, net-zero water buildings. The tour will take place at the University Village courtyard and the Albenga Garage. To reserve a spot, contact netzerowaterdorm@miami.edu.

Blood drive

Beginning Monday, students, faculty, staff, administrators and other employees may donate blood in the SAC Ballrooms from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day until Wednesday.

Homecoming 

The final round of the Homecoming King and Queen competition will at 8 p.m. Monday in the SAC Ballrooms . Eight men and eight women will compete for the “Mr. & Ms. U-Ville” king and queen crowns.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...