News Briefs 10/31

Pitch competition 

The Launch Pad will host the 2013 Elevator Pitch Competition as part of Global Entrepreneurship Week. Students who are running a business in South Florida and who are 16 or older and currently attending high school or a degree-granting college may enter the Student Pitch Contest.  Community entrepreneurs may also submit in the Community Pitch Contest category. Online submissions are due Sunday at thelaunchpad.org./pitchcontest.

Water Project site

The Net Zero Water Treatment System Public Tour will be at 5:30 p.m. Friday to show the kind of research the university is conducting to develop design principles for low-energy, low-emissions, net-zero water buildings. The tour will take place at the University Village courtyard and the Albenga Garage. To reserve a spot, contact netzerowaterdorm@miami.edu.

Blood drive

Beginning Monday, students, faculty, staff, administrators and other employees may donate blood in the SAC Ballrooms from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day until Wednesday.

Homecoming 

The final round of the Homecoming King and Queen competition will at 8 p.m. Monday in the SAC Ballrooms . Eight men and eight women will compete for the “Mr. & Ms. U-Ville” king and queen crowns.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com. 

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...