Campus Life, News, Student Organization

Homecoming Opening Ceremonies expand with new campus location

FBcoverPhoto

The Association of Commuter Students (ACS) cheer during Homecoming Opening Ceremonies Wednesday evening at the UC Patio. Homecoming festivities will continue through Nov. 9th with the football game against Virginia Tech.
Stephanie Lorenzo // Contributing Photographer

The Homecoming Executive Committee (HEC) aimed to set a new standard with the Opening Ceremonies for Homecoming 2013’s festivities.

With the brand new Student Activities Center (SAC) and patio area, the Opening Ceremonies held at the UC Patio were able to expand the celebrations, including more people than previous years..

“It’s a special year because of the opening of the new building, so we wanted to start in a special way,” said junior Daniel Narciso, one of two co-chairs of Opening Ceremonies. “We wanted to set a tone of excitement and anticipation.”

Omicron Delta Kappa signaled the start of the Dr. Seuss-themed Homecoming celebration with the ringing of a bell, and the event began with the recognition of Norm Parsons, the director of the wellness center, for his dedication to the university.

The event also featured a performance by members of the National Pan-Hellenic Council, the umbrella organization for the historically black Greek letter organizations, a Canes spell out competition and a costume competition. Students were treated to fried Oreos, frozen lemonade and cotton candy throughout the evening.

The event succeeded in rallying students’ excitement for the rest of the homecoming events. Sophomore Victoria Boylan could feel the energy in the atmosphere.

“I can see a lot of organizations are going really hard. It’s really exciting,” she said.

The Opening Ceremonies were followed by the Alma Mater preliminaries, which were held on the stage at the the Rathskeller. Eight different teams performed remixes to a variety of popular songs, as well as the traditional alma mater.

Hecht Residential College was chosen as the HEC choice, while United Black Students, Association of Commuter Students and the Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) qualified for the Alma Mater finals that will take place Nov. 7. UBS, ACS and FEC were also the top three teams in last year’s alma mater competition.

Justin Borroto, Student Government vice president and president of FEC, felt relieved that their hard work paid off.

“We worked so hard to make sure people enjoyed out performance, so it was awesome to know that it paid off,” he said.

For more information on Homecoming and for a complete schedule of events, visit the event’s Facebook page at facebook.com/UMHomecoming.

Ashley McBride

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...