SG builds on completed initiatives

Happy Halloween! Welcome to the second edition of the monthly Student Government (SG) column. Just like last time, I’ll be talking about what SG is working on, initiatives we’ve completed and upcoming events.
We are starting “Lunch with the President.” Courtesy of the Rathskeller, students can have a free lunch with Bhumi on Fridays. To apply, email sgpresssecretary@miami.edu and let us know what you want to talk to Bhumi about.
I’m very excited to announce that SG Comes to U is Nov. 14. All of SG will be on the Rock from 3 to 6:30 p.m. You can stop by, learn how the different parts of Student Government work to improve campus, and pick up some giveaways. Then at 7 p.m. in Eaton 106, we are having “Eat ‘n Greet” (see what we did there?), which will be an open forum for students to express thoughts or concerns to SG so that we can work to fix them. There will also be plenty of food.
SG elections took place this month, and we’re happy to have a full Senate. Senators work to address the interests, wants and needs of students. Senate is working on an evaluation of the safety of San Amaro Drive by studying driving habits on San Amaro near the University Village and talking to students to determine if any changes need to be made to improve student safety.
ECO Agency is working on a High Water Line project, the purpose of which is to show projections of rising water levels in Miami. ECO will put lines on different parts of campus from Nov. 18 to 22 to show how high the water levels are expected to rise in the coming years. Members of ECO and Green team will be standing by the lines to explain what they represent and what we can do about it.
On Thursday, the women’s soccer team is playing Clemson at 7 p.m. Category 5 is sponsoring a costume contest for the game. The student with the best costume will win a prize pack from the athletics department.
Good luck to the football team this weekend. Beat FSU!

Adam Orshan

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ Hurricanes fans aren’t the only ones exasperated by t ...

If Saturday wasn’t a turning point for N’Kosi Perry, it was maybe the start of one — at least this i ...

The question for Manny Diaz was simple, and the defensive coordinator’s answer was simple, too — sor ...

The University of Miami’s popular turnover chain was spotlighted in a promotional video for February ...

The evidence was glaring. On Monday night, Miami true freshman running back Lorenzo Lingard posted o ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

Ebuka Izundu had a career night as the Canes took down Stephen F. Austin, 96-58. ...

The Canes have two games left in the 2018 regular season and they have one goal in mind: finish the ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team will host No. 19 Marquette in a top-25 matchup Thursda ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...