Professor evaluations hold value

Registration for spring semester begins Nov. 11. Until then, students will lose sleep over their systematic attempts to come up with the ideal schedule: an arrangement of fascinating course topics taught at reasonable hours by the best instructors on campus.
Professors can make or break a learning experience, which is why students consult websites like RateMyProfessors.com or instructor evaluations on CaneLink.
During our searches, it’s disheartening to find a class that sounds so intriguing being taught by a professor who receives consistently poor reviews. Yes, there will always be the whining students who complain on Rate My Professors about instructors who give challenging exams, but the professors who repeatedly receive low scores across all platforms are worth the alarm.
These are the professors who students have come to know to avoid taking a course with. And students try to convey that in the faculty evaluations the university asks us to fill out at the end of each semester.
These professors continue to receive poor ratings, and it makes us wonder what the university is doing with our feedback if no changes are being made. In the same way that students use these numbers to determine which classes to take, administrators should take note of the data as well.
It’s the responsibility of the university to ensure that its faculty and staff are of the highest quality, and this means both in the lab and in the classroom. A professor is often both a researcher and a lecturer. Not all professors are good teachers, and that’s the problem.
We are the university’s customers, and the opinions we voice in these end-of-semester surveys should be taken seriously and reflect more heavily on the teachers, whose services we pay tuition for.
We acknowledge that some students fill out the surveys halfheartedly because of the incentive to see their final grades early. Thus, they may not sufficiently indicate a professor’s teaching competence, or lack thereof.
That is why each department should offer open-ended written evaluations, much like the English and foreign language departments issue during the last week of classes. These would hold professors accountable and make students feel like their voices have been heard.
We’d hope that individual departments would then implement curriculum changes, professional development workshops or other solutions to maintain professors who are as top-tier as our students.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

With Mark Walton (cut by Cincinnati) and Kendrick Norton (released by Carolina), the Dolphins have n ...

Perhaps no one but Kellen Winslow II knows for sure when his deep dive began from beloved University ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Behavioral scientists establish a new mental health research center at the University of Miami to ha ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team edged No. 77 Paola Diaz-Delg ...

Redshirt junior Brian Van Belle will take the mound in Miami's ACC Baseball Championship opener ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...

The quest for a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships begins Thursday for Miami's track a ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...