Football, Sports

Not just for kicks

The fabled game is nearly upon us.
From Coral Gables, Fla., to Tallahassee, Fla., tensions are high as No. 7 Miami heads north for the annual rivalry matchup with the No. 3 Florida State Seminoles.
And now, the stakes are especially high.
Both teams bring unblemished 7-0 records to the contest. In ACC play, Miami is 3-0 and Florida State is 5-0.
The Seminoles rank third nationally in points scored (52.6 per game) and fourth in points allowed (13 per game). Miami is 20th in scoring (39.6) and 11th in points allowed (17.7).
Florida State holds the longest winning streak in the illustrious rivalry: seven straight, from 1962-1972, and the Noles have also taken the last three. However, since the in-state rivals first faced off in 1951, Miami leads the overall series 31-26.
Coming off a pair of come-from-behind victories against North Carolina and Wake Forest, the Cardiac Canes have much to prove.
Seminoles quarterback Jameis Winston has lived up to, and perhaps exceeded, the hype around his freshman year. A Heisman frontrunner, Winston has already passed for 2,177 yards with 23 touchdowns and just four interceptions.
Stephen Morris, Miami’s senior quarterback, has thrown for 1,463 yards, 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions.
On the ground, sophomore Duke Johnson has carried the Canes with 823 rushing yards, averaging 6.7 yard per carry. Florida State’s leading rusher, junior Devonta Freeman, has 561 yards (6.4 average) and six touchdowns.
But if tradition tells us anything, Saturday’s 8 p.m. game at Doak Campbell Stadium could come down to the golden foot of the kicker – UM’s sophomore Matt Goudis or FSU’s freshman Roberto Aguayo.
The rivalry has been highlighted, at least for Hurricane fans, by a series of errant kicks with the game on the line.
Florida State’s “Wide Right” curse began in 1991 when place kicker Gerry Thomas sent the potential winning field goal sailing to the right. The misfire gave the No. 2 Hurricanes a 17-16 win on the road over the top-ranked Seminoles.
Just one year later, FSU kicker Dan Mowrey followed suit. His directionally challenged field goal went off to the right, handing Miami a 19-16 nail-biting win that kept them undefeated.
In 2000, the Hurricanes held on to a 27-24 lead at the Orange Bowl when Seminole kicker Matt Munyon was unable to cap off a last-minute scoring drive. Wide right again.
But in 2002, Florida State turned the tables … sort of.
With only minutes to play, Miami took a 28-27 lead, but allowed for Florida State to drive into field goal range for a game-winning attempt. Xavier Beitia broke history, sending his kick wide to the left as Miami escaped.
College football is all about tradition though, so 2004 brought more of the same. Beitia blew his chance at redemption with yet another wide right – an error that cost the Seminoles the lead as time wound down.
But the past is irrelevant as the Canes prepare to renew their rivalry this weekend.
True to his mantra, coach Al Golden is just taking it one game at a time. He believes Canes can make the necessary adjustments for the strong, physical Seminoles.
“We’re blocking better, let’s be fair, let’s be honest – Randy [‘Duke’ Johnson] couldn’t run the way he ran the other day last year, he was 12 pounds lighter. Now he’s dropping his pads and finishing runs. The offensive line is bigger and stronger and better. The tight ends couldn’t block like that a year ago,” Golden said. “So we’re making progress, but it’s all relative. We’re going to get tested on Saturday. It’s a great challenge for our guys and an even greater opportunity.”

Kristen Spillane

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...