Edge, Music, Q & A + Profiles

Musician leaves school to pursue singing career

Photo Courtesy Jake Miller

Courtesy of Jake Miller

You may have blasted his hit song, “A Million Lives” when it came on the radio, or heard about his upcoming show at The Fillmore Miami Beach. Or maybe you saw him wandering around campus last year. Rapper Jake Miller is a former UM student. The 20-year-old Florida native spent a semester at UM before going on tour last January.

Early Start

For Miller, music began as a hobby in high school. He started recording using GarageBand and posting videos on YouTube.

“I had no intentions of pursuing music as a career,” said Miller, who was surprised when his videos received such positive reaction first at his school, then in his hometown of Weston, Fla.

Miller quickly discovered his passion for music, putting more and more time into his craft and building an impressive fan base. As he gained recognition, Miller has had the opportunity to perform alongside countless well-known artists, including one of his inspirations, Mac Miller. He has also released three EPs, and his first full-length album, “Us Against Them,” hits stores Tuesday.

“I took it from a hobby to a full-blown career,” said Miller of his success.

Seminole to Cane

The  rapper began his college career enrolled at FSU. However, during freshman orientation Miller was contacted by a record label, and ended up leaving that weekend for a showcase in New York. Though he didn’t take that deal, the experience opened up his eyes to the opportunities in the music business. In what Miller described as a “crazy risk,” he deferred from FSU, taking the year off instead to focus on music.

“My whole life, I just planned on going to college,” Miller said. “My family is all about going to college.”

But his parents were supportive, allowing him one year to see where his music would take him. After the year,  Miller recalled that though things were going well for him, they were not moving as fast as he would have liked. So, last fall, Miller enrolled as a part-time student at UM.

Cane to Fame

Miller studied here in the fall of 2012, driving down three days a week to take classes. He remembered those times fondly, saying that although he didn’t get the chance to become involved in campus organizations or Greek life, he met a lot of cool people and enjoyed his time. However, after his first semester at UM, Miller once again had to defer when he booked his first tour in January of 2013.

“I didn’t even have time to do one online class,” he said.

For now, Miller has no plans to return to school. His sights are set on his career and upcoming tour, The “Us Against Them” Tour, which kicks off Friday at The Fillmore.

Reaching Out

Miller’s music stands out in today’s popular scene because his music isn’t just about “catchy hooks,” but about imparting a message. This is true of his hit single, “A Million Lives,” which talks about the impact of his music on his fans and the impact his fans have had on him. Miller admits that he began his musical career trying to emulate other artists he admired. Eventually, though, he began cultivating his own sound and focusing his music on helping others and reaching out.

“If you have the ability to reach out to this many people and you don’t use it to spread positivity and spread a good message, it’s kind of a waste,” Miller said.

“US AGAINST THEM” TOUR

When: 7 p.m. Friday

Where: The Fillmore Miami Beach, 1700 Washington Ave., Miami Beach

Cost: $32

For more information visit jakemiller.com

Marlee Lisker

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...