Miami is a win-win

For the record, Miami has a lot more to offer than just beaches, chimichangas and female chongas.
However, whenever Northeasterners (myself included) inform an adult that we are attending the University of Miami, all they hear is, “Oh, so you just want to party in college.” Because it’s not like the Northeast has big party schools like Lehigh, Rutgers or any of the 23 Penn State campuses.
As a matter of fact, one justified reason to attend college here is that UM is ranked the No. 1 school in Florida by U.S. News & World Report – ahead of the University of Florida. We also have superb academics, exemplary student media organizations and a real community. In fact, statistics show that 100 percent of the time, we are ahead of the University of Florida.
Nevertheless, I have received countless complaints and multiple stink-eyes because whenever I mention to teenagers and parents that I am attending one of the most beautiful colleges in the country, the high schoolers start pushing their parents about living out their college experience in Coral Gables.
It’s a quick process. First, they start wearing orange and green frequently. Then they start improving their Spanish. And in about a month or so, they convert to Judaism.
Frankly, I didn’t choose Miami only because of my Jewish roots, but it is quite nice to be living my retired life down here prematurely.
Parents hate me for promoting this fine institution because they are frightened about sending their children so far from home, especially to a city fraught with drugs, crime and the Miami Marlins (my sleeper pick for the College World Series).
But in actuality, they should be thanking me. I am giving parents every opportunity to come and spend their winters in true Miami fashion. All they have to do is say, “Honey, we really miss you, so we’re going to come down on this fine Tuesday to visit you. By the way, do you have enough Cup of Noodles?”
That’s a win-win in my book. The student gets to attend the best school in the world, the parents get to renew their vows in Cuba and everyone gets to share a Costco supply of Ramen.
So please, don’t be scared to send your children so far away. It gives them a chance to mature and find themselves, which is better than finding them on your couch.

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...