Miami is a win-win

For the record, Miami has a lot more to offer than just beaches, chimichangas and female chongas.
However, whenever Northeasterners (myself included) inform an adult that we are attending the University of Miami, all they hear is, “Oh, so you just want to party in college.” Because it’s not like the Northeast has big party schools like Lehigh, Rutgers or any of the 23 Penn State campuses.
As a matter of fact, one justified reason to attend college here is that UM is ranked the No. 1 school in Florida by U.S. News & World Report – ahead of the University of Florida. We also have superb academics, exemplary student media organizations and a real community. In fact, statistics show that 100 percent of the time, we are ahead of the University of Florida.
Nevertheless, I have received countless complaints and multiple stink-eyes because whenever I mention to teenagers and parents that I am attending one of the most beautiful colleges in the country, the high schoolers start pushing their parents about living out their college experience in Coral Gables.
It’s a quick process. First, they start wearing orange and green frequently. Then they start improving their Spanish. And in about a month or so, they convert to Judaism.
Frankly, I didn’t choose Miami only because of my Jewish roots, but it is quite nice to be living my retired life down here prematurely.
Parents hate me for promoting this fine institution because they are frightened about sending their children so far from home, especially to a city fraught with drugs, crime and the Miami Marlins (my sleeper pick for the College World Series).
But in actuality, they should be thanking me. I am giving parents every opportunity to come and spend their winters in true Miami fashion. All they have to do is say, “Honey, we really miss you, so we’re going to come down on this fine Tuesday to visit you. By the way, do you have enough Cup of Noodles?”
That’s a win-win in my book. The student gets to attend the best school in the world, the parents get to renew their vows in Cuba and everyone gets to share a Costco supply of Ramen.
So please, don’t be scared to send your children so far away. It gives them a chance to mature and find themselves, which is better than finding them on your couch.

Danny New is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism.

Danny New

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...