V's Take

Dear V: How can I put out at work …

V,
I have a bit of a problem. You see, I like this guy at work, but I’m not sure how to approach the situation. We started working together a few months ago, but we didn’t really talk until a few weeks ago. He’s so cute and funny and nice. I don’t want this to end in an awkward situation, but I want to act on it … I’m just too scared. Help!

Sincerely,

An Awkward Mess

Dear Maggie Jordan,

We’ve all seen this situation many a time and every time it’s painful to watch the two lovers teeter in and out of admitting their blatant sexual frustration. It’s a story line that’s so overdone, it almost seems fabricated in real life.
The best approach to this situation is to get to know this person outside of the work environment. Engage in some office pal outings and see if the two of you are compatible without computer screens and status reports as a buffer.
I’m sure he’s a decent enough person that even if he doesn’t reciprocate, he’ll still be friendly with you at work and won’t make things awkward. I get that putting yourself out there is a risk we’re not always willing to take but it’s important to follow your instincts.
Just stay away from boning the boss – that’s never a good thing and people are just going to think you’re a straight up hussy. And you don’t want to be a hussy.
People love attention, so as soon as you start batting your eyelashes and showing some interest, this guy is sure to fall straight into your lap.
Just make sure he doesn’t start dating your best friend and then breaks up with her and then takes a “Sex And The City” bus tour and then you kiss him and someone records it and puts it on YouTube. That’s no good.

Advice Columnist

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 3-0 on the season following a 6-1 triumph ...