V's Take

Dear V: How can I put out at work …

V,
I have a bit of a problem. You see, I like this guy at work, but I’m not sure how to approach the situation. We started working together a few months ago, but we didn’t really talk until a few weeks ago. He’s so cute and funny and nice. I don’t want this to end in an awkward situation, but I want to act on it … I’m just too scared. Help!

Sincerely,

An Awkward Mess

Dear Maggie Jordan,

We’ve all seen this situation many a time and every time it’s painful to watch the two lovers teeter in and out of admitting their blatant sexual frustration. It’s a story line that’s so overdone, it almost seems fabricated in real life.
The best approach to this situation is to get to know this person outside of the work environment. Engage in some office pal outings and see if the two of you are compatible without computer screens and status reports as a buffer.
I’m sure he’s a decent enough person that even if he doesn’t reciprocate, he’ll still be friendly with you at work and won’t make things awkward. I get that putting yourself out there is a risk we’re not always willing to take but it’s important to follow your instincts.
Just stay away from boning the boss – that’s never a good thing and people are just going to think you’re a straight up hussy. And you don’t want to be a hussy.
People love attention, so as soon as you start batting your eyelashes and showing some interest, this guy is sure to fall straight into your lap.
Just make sure he doesn’t start dating your best friend and then breaks up with her and then takes a “Sex And The City” bus tour and then you kiss him and someone records it and puts it on YouTube. That’s no good.

Advice Columnist

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...