Cheaper, healthier versions of Starbucks drinks can be made at home

There is only one company so revered that college students overwhelmed with piles of work, never-ending classes and laundry lists of club activities are willing to wait for its products by standing in Disneyland-style lines that twist and turn out the door. You could say it is the star of campus (pun intended).

Students crave an intoxicatingly sweet sip from one of its hundreds of combinations. No matter morning, noon or night, its power is equally irresistible. But it also racks up big bucks on your credit card. That seductive siren is — the one and only — Starbucks.

College students are hooked on Starbucks. University of Miami was the first college to have a location on campus, and as of this semester, we now have two. But purchasing coffee from Starbucks can be expensive, time-consuming and unhealthy. To counteract this, consider making your own coffee drinks instead.

While the price of a Keurig or other machine is usually more than $100 — not including K-cups — the investment is well worth it for the many students who easily spend more than $30 a week on their coffee addiction.

Recreating a Frappuccino at home will save you an arm and a leg. Believe it or not, it only costs $0.32. That’s a 92 percent reduction. But you’ve also saved yourself something greater: time. It’ll help you avoid the long lines for ordering and the wait time required for the barista to make the drink.

You may not believe that your tall, half-skinny, half 1-percent, extra hot, split, quad shot latte, with whip can be recreated at home. Most students could easily fill a coffee pot with water, but many others may wonder how it is possible to recreate one of the fancy shmancy unpronounceable Starbucks drinks. If someone working at Starbucks can create this masterpiece, I guarantee an intelligent UM student is also capable.

Let’s break this order down. Tall loses meaning at home, where you can make yourself a Trenta for a fraction of the price. Half skinny just means that you drizzle a bit of sugar-free syrup – easily accessible at your local Publix. Make the water extra hot. Get some decaf and regular shots. Finally, spray a dab of whip cream on top.

Your Venti Java Chip Frap packs in a whopping 440 calories, 10 grams of fat, and 87 carbohydrates. Breakfast of a champion. You can easily save yourself from a painful sugar-induced death with your homemade version. Almond milk is an option that will save extra fat and calories, or you can add vanilla extract instead of syrup for equal sweetness. Plus, you can make your drink without the artificial caramel coloring, high fructose corn syrup and GMOs.

After spending a summer in Seattle, the hometown of Da Bux, and even visiting the original venue, I would never call myself a Starbucks hater. In fact, I drank Starbucks on a weekly basis throughout the summer.

But if I can use my mad science cooking skills to re-create a masterpiece for a fraction of a price, then as a college student on a budget, the option is too appealing to resist.

Treating yourself occasionally is always a viable option, but if you want to save time and money and improve your health, then a homemade coffee drink is your best bet. Just wait until your homemade pumpkin spice latte picture on Instagram get more likes than actual photos of yourself.

Alyssa Jacobson is a junior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...