Community, Edge

Celebrating Halloween in a creative fashion

Illustration by Sarbani Ghosh

Illustration by Sarbani Ghosh

Halloween is usually about candy overdoses, cheap costumes and crazy nights. But for some people, the holiday means something more. From  haunted houses to elaborate homemade costumes to running parties, these Canes take Halloween a little more seriously than most.

Spooky spaces

Every year at senior Jennifer Castellani’s house, her family hosts a miniature haunted house for the neighborhood children. What started out as an amusing pastime for Castellani’s brother has now grown to a local attraction that attracts more than 500 people and requires more than three Costco-sized bags of candy.

This year, Castellani’s brother, who has a passion for special effects, constructed a Frankenstein-themed house and posed as the monster. Last year, the house was based on the “Pirate of the Caribbean” franchise and included a ship, a zombie pirate and smoke.

“My brother loves special effects,” she said.

Castellani’s role is usually to hand out candy.

She said they have visitors who drive over specifically to visit her family’s haunted house.

“We always run out of candy,” she said.

Costume craze 

For junior Kim Maples, costume hunting for Halloween begins five months in advance. Since her senior year of high school, Maples has spent each summer building her own costume based on popular TV shows and video games.

Her guises have included Link from the “Legend of Zelda” video games series, Korra from the Nickelodeon TV show “Legend of Korra” and Marceline the Vampire Queen from the Cartoon Network show “Adventure Time.”

Maples spends between $50 and $100 on each costume, purchasing fabric, clothes, wigs and other items. Sometimes, she also reuses pieces from year to year. The brown boots from the Link outfit were dyed red for this year’s Marceline costume.

She usually keeps her costume a secret until she can debut it at a Halloween party.

“When I dress up, I like the appreciation people have for my costume,” she said. “I know my friends are going to get a kick out of it.”

Party planner

Senior Jon David works as a party promoter, recruiting people to attend parties at clubs such as LIV and Rokbar. David is spending his Halloween night working at a “Walking Dead”-themed party in Wynwood. The party is being sponsored by AMC.

While at the party, David has to tend to his guests, making sure that they’re happy.

“It’s a lot of customer service,” David said.

He said that he makes sure they have free drinks and introduces them to other people.

“People that I bring, I want them to have a good time,” David said.

But his work starts long before the party. David has to invite people to the party, through Facebook and word of mouth.

“It’s a lot of knowing … which people will bring people,” David said.

David also has to coordinate buses to take people from Red Road to the event. He bargains with companies, makes sure there is insurance and that they have all of the details for the event.

If you go

What: Reel Horror Ball

Where: Moore building, 3841 NE Second Ave., Miami

When: 8 p.m. to 4 a.m. Thursday

Cost: $20 with the promo code “jondavid”

For more information visit reelhorrorball.com or facebook.com/events/634019519982978.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...