Campus welcomes diverse cultures

Transitioning into college, I agonized over how my new classes would be and whether I’d make friends easily. I even tried to mentally map out the next four years of my life. Once classes began, however, I found myself contemplating a problem I’d neglected to account for: assimilating into college life without leaving my culture behind.
My family and I immigrated to this country 10 years ago, and we’ve managed to adopt American culture without estranging ourselves from our Cuban roots. Coming to the University of Miami was like entering a melting pot of cultures: I found myself surrounded by food, music and languages foreign to me. I started to worry that I’d have to change or omit aspects of my own culture in order to fit in with my new schoolmates. But as I made more friends, I realized that each of us was in the same exact position – starting from scratch, separated from our cultural communities.
However, I realized that UM is as resourceful as it is diverse. I found tons of clubs dedicated to maintaining each culture’s vibrant presence on campus. Beyond that, campus events, such as Hispanic Heritage Month activities, Garba and Chinese New Year, allow students to enjoy aspects of their culture that they may have thought were left behind upon coming to college. After asking peers about how they’ve been able to preserve their culture, I realized that most students joined clubs particular to their culture and even keep mementos to remind them of home and their identities.
Perhaps the greatest thing about these campus events is that they are open to every student, regardless of cultural affiliation. This is incredibly important because not only do we get to enjoy our own cultural events, but also we can come to know and enjoy our friends’ as well.
Here at UM, I don’t have to disregard my culture at all. Since arriving to campus, I’ve become even more aware of my heritage and feel proud to be able to share that with everyone on campus.

Melissa Hurtado

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...