International, News, Obituaries

Memorial service held to remember graduate students’ passing

The University of Miami community gathered at a memorial service this afternoon in remembrance of Ying Chen and Hao Liu, two graduate engineering students from China who passed away after being struck by a car in Pinecrest.

The memorial, which was held in the Student Activities Center’s Grand Ballroom, was filled with students paying their respects and offering their support to the families and friends of the deceased.

James M. Tien, dean of the College of Engineering, began the service and delivered a message in Chinese. An interpreter was present.

UM President Donna E. Shalala was also there, welcoming the attendants and extending condolences to the Liu’s and Chen’s family and friends.

Xiaodong Cai, an associate professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), told personal stories of his experience as a professor to Hao. Jia Song, a fellow graduate student and friend of Chen and Liu, followed with her own memories of the beloved friends.

Chen’s sister, Li, spoke on the unexpectedness of the tragic event, recounting her family’s plans to visit Miami, which her sister described as a “beautiful city.” The family also had plans to take a trip to Disney World together.

Li thanked professors, President Donna E. Shalala and students, even those who didn’t know Chen, for their kindness to her family during this devastating time.

Liu’s aunt, Li Shen, shared memorable remarks about her nephew, followed by a touching video made by friends of Chen and Liu in remembrance of their lives.

Chen’s video showed pictures from her best moments in life, including graduation day, moments with friends and family and her journey to America.

Liu’s video followed, full of baby pictures and family portraits. It ended with Liu’s story to come to the U.S. because he knew that is where he would find success.

The memorial ended with an interfaith service.

Emily Dabau

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...