Sports Briefs 10/27

Soccer
The Hurricanes traveled to Blacksburg, Va. looking to steal a win from Virginia Tech. But the fourth-ranked Hokies held Miami scoreless and took Sunday’s game 1-0.
“You can see a world of difference in our play when we want to put in the effort and want to play for each other,” coach Mary-Frances Monroe said after Miami started taking more shots on goal in the second half. “It’s unfortunate for us that we decided to do that too late.”
The Canes finish their regular season against Clemson at 7 p.m. Thursday. Miami will host the Tigers at Cobb Stadium to try to right the ship after back-to-back conference losses.

Men’s Tennis
The Canes traveled to Ft. Myers, Fla., for the FGCU Invitational, winning all four singles matches in the first round of play.
Along with Miami and Florida Gulf Coast, Boston College, Boston University and Barry University were all represented at the tournament.
Sophomore William Albanese and junior Henrique Tsukamoto went on to win their second-round matches as well. Miami’s strong play continued on Saturday in singles and doubles, meaning Albanese and Tsukamoto faced each other in Sunday’s final.

Volleyball
Miami didn’t have as much luck against Wake Forest on the volleyball court as it did on the football field.
The Demon Deacons brushed the Canes aside in four sets this past Friday in Winston Salem, N.C.
The final score was 25-19, 16-25, 25-18, 25-21. Moving across the state on Saturday, Miami also lost to Duke in straight sets (25-14, 25-18, 25-20.)
The Hurricanes have two home games this week at the Knight Sports Complex. N.C. State will be at 7 p.m. Friday, and North Carolina is set for 1 p.m. Sunday.

Men’s Basketball
The Miami men’s basketball team, coming off the second Sweet 16 appearance in school history, will open its season with an exhibition game Wednesday at the BankUnited Center.
Watch the Canes take on Florida Tech at 7:30 p.m.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...