Sports Briefs 10/27

Soccer
The Hurricanes traveled to Blacksburg, Va. looking to steal a win from Virginia Tech. But the fourth-ranked Hokies held Miami scoreless and took Sunday’s game 1-0.
“You can see a world of difference in our play when we want to put in the effort and want to play for each other,” coach Mary-Frances Monroe said after Miami started taking more shots on goal in the second half. “It’s unfortunate for us that we decided to do that too late.”
The Canes finish their regular season against Clemson at 7 p.m. Thursday. Miami will host the Tigers at Cobb Stadium to try to right the ship after back-to-back conference losses.

Men’s Tennis
The Canes traveled to Ft. Myers, Fla., for the FGCU Invitational, winning all four singles matches in the first round of play.
Along with Miami and Florida Gulf Coast, Boston College, Boston University and Barry University were all represented at the tournament.
Sophomore William Albanese and junior Henrique Tsukamoto went on to win their second-round matches as well. Miami’s strong play continued on Saturday in singles and doubles, meaning Albanese and Tsukamoto faced each other in Sunday’s final.

Volleyball
Miami didn’t have as much luck against Wake Forest on the volleyball court as it did on the football field.
The Demon Deacons brushed the Canes aside in four sets this past Friday in Winston Salem, N.C.
The final score was 25-19, 16-25, 25-18, 25-21. Moving across the state on Saturday, Miami also lost to Duke in straight sets (25-14, 25-18, 25-20.)
The Hurricanes have two home games this week at the Knight Sports Complex. N.C. State will be at 7 p.m. Friday, and North Carolina is set for 1 p.m. Sunday.

Men’s Basketball
The Miami men’s basketball team, coming off the second Sweet 16 appearance in school history, will open its season with an exhibition game Wednesday at the BankUnited Center.
Watch the Canes take on Florida Tech at 7:30 p.m.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

Two came back to win a national championship and earn their degrees. The other is just a junior but ...