Sports Briefs 10/27

Soccer
The Hurricanes traveled to Blacksburg, Va. looking to steal a win from Virginia Tech. But the fourth-ranked Hokies held Miami scoreless and took Sunday’s game 1-0.
“You can see a world of difference in our play when we want to put in the effort and want to play for each other,” coach Mary-Frances Monroe said after Miami started taking more shots on goal in the second half. “It’s unfortunate for us that we decided to do that too late.”
The Canes finish their regular season against Clemson at 7 p.m. Thursday. Miami will host the Tigers at Cobb Stadium to try to right the ship after back-to-back conference losses.

Men’s Tennis
The Canes traveled to Ft. Myers, Fla., for the FGCU Invitational, winning all four singles matches in the first round of play.
Along with Miami and Florida Gulf Coast, Boston College, Boston University and Barry University were all represented at the tournament.
Sophomore William Albanese and junior Henrique Tsukamoto went on to win their second-round matches as well. Miami’s strong play continued on Saturday in singles and doubles, meaning Albanese and Tsukamoto faced each other in Sunday’s final.

Volleyball
Miami didn’t have as much luck against Wake Forest on the volleyball court as it did on the football field.
The Demon Deacons brushed the Canes aside in four sets this past Friday in Winston Salem, N.C.
The final score was 25-19, 16-25, 25-18, 25-21. Moving across the state on Saturday, Miami also lost to Duke in straight sets (25-14, 25-18, 25-20.)
The Hurricanes have two home games this week at the Knight Sports Complex. N.C. State will be at 7 p.m. Friday, and North Carolina is set for 1 p.m. Sunday.

Men’s Basketball
The Miami men’s basketball team, coming off the second Sweet 16 appearance in school history, will open its season with an exhibition game Wednesday at the BankUnited Center.
Watch the Canes take on Florida Tech at 7:30 p.m.

Spencer Dandes may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Spencer Dandes

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...