Smoke-free policy deserves reignition

You’re on your way to class, soaking in the radiance of the South Florida sun and inhaling the refreshing breeze, when suddenly you smell an odor disseminating through the air. Ahead of you is someone puffing a cigarette.

The university put into place a smoke-free policy on Aug. 1 in order to “promote a healthy environment” on our college campus.

Therefore, this person is either oblivious to the smoke-free policy or blatantly not abiding by it. I don’t know which is worse: someone inattentive to the signs hanging around campus, or someone with a total disregard for them.

Whatever the case may be, this problem points to a need for increased educational awareness and policy enforcement.

Currently, there are more than 500 other college campuses across the nation with similar smoke-free or tobacco-free policies. Gathering insight from these universities about their implementation and enforcement would come in handy.

Increased educational awareness begins at the grassroots level. It’s important to give courteous reminders to any individual who violates the policy, because even with the university’s smoke-free policy in place, smoking still blatantly occurs on our campus.

This is exemplified by the protest held this past Friday in opposition to the smoke-free policy. However, I find that there is little to protest about, as several public opinion polls across the nation show support for smoking restrictions in order to protect the interests of public health.

Although there may be those smoking zealots who still refuse to abide by the rules, educational initiatives addressing the issue of smoking – which the CDC points to as the No. 1 cause of preventable death – will hopefully change the opinions of the minority who still smoke

But beyond this grassroots approach, there needs to be better enforcement. At smoke-free New York University, students who violate the policy are subject to disciplinary action through a judicial process.

Additionally, the University of Florida not only has the Dean of Students Office touch base with violators, but also has its Health Promotion Office help them quit smoking. At Cornell College in Iowa, there are even financial sanctions for repeat offenders.

Currently, our university has put in place this new policy with some educational awareness, but a dearth of enforcement.

The university administration took the bold step of declaring the campus smoke-free. Now, our campus should take the necessary steps to actually make it one.

Raymond La is a junior majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...