Serve up some spooky spirits

It’s the season of pumpkins, cooler weather and the thrills of Halloween. With the holiday falling on Thursday, when everyone is looking to unwind, it’s the perfect chance to mix up some special drinks. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s drink suggestions, inspired by Pinterest pins.

Ghost

1 1/4 oz. Smirnoff Vanilla Twist

1/2 oz. Godiva White Chocolate liqueur

1/4 oz. half and half

1/4 oz. simple syrup

Directions: Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and serve.

Apple Cinnamon Sangria

1 cup water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half

1 750 ml. bottle of cidre bouche, or dry French sparkling apple cider (make sure it’s very cold)

1/2 cup Calvados

1 apple, any variety, cored and thinly sliced

Directions: Heat water, sugar and cinnamon sticks together over medium-high heat. When sugar dissolves, shut off heat and let the syrup steep until it cools. Combine the syrup, the cider, the Calvados and the sliced apples in a jug. Stir, and serve immediately.

Black Velvet

Black Vodka

Creme de cassis

Sparkling cranberry juice

Directions: Fill a glass with ice. Add one measure of Black Vodka or one drop of black food coloring to clear vodka. Add one small measure of creme de cassis. Top with sparkling cranberry juice and stir.

Bloody Cosmopolitan

1 oz. vodka

2 oz. triple sec

1 oz. blood orange juice

1/2 oz. pomegranate juice

1 slice blood orange for garnish

Sugar for glass

Directions: Rim martini glass using the blood orange and sugar. Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pour into a glass over ice.

Check out these nonalcoholic options:

Ghoulade

2 (6 oz.) cans limeade, frozen concentrate, thawed

3 cups lemon-lime soda

3 1/2 cups green sports drink

Food coloring

Directions: Combine limeade, soda and sports drink in pitcher. Add five drops of appropriate food coloring (green makes this look ghastly) and stir. Add ice and garnish glasses with whipped cream.

Graveyard punch

2 liters diet root beer

24 gummy worms, more if desired

1 pint low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

1 pint low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt

Directions: Make root beer ice cubes by freezing soda into ice cube trays overnight. Add one gummy worm to each cube before freezing. Line bottom of punch bowl with scoops of frozen yogurt, and add remaining root beer to make “slush.” Add root beer cubes and serve.

Amanda Wood

Miami couldn’t in-bound the ball. When the host Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team looks back at Su ...

Offensive line is always one of the biggest needs for the Miami Hurricanes on the recruiting trail a ...

When Manny Diaz briefly left the Miami Hurricanes to become the coach of the Temple Owls, Keshawn Wa ...

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

A ninth inning rally pushed No. 5 NC State past the Canes on Sunday afternoon. ...

Miami's stellar season came to end Sunday, as the Hurricanes fell to ASU, 57-55, in the NCAA To ...

Despite Estela Perez-Somarriba logging a top-five triumph for the 100th win of her career, the No. 2 ...

Facing No. 11 North Carolina on its home court, the University of Miami men's tennis team got o ...