Serve up some spooky spirits

It’s the season of pumpkins, cooler weather and the thrills of Halloween. With the holiday falling on Thursday, when everyone is looking to unwind, it’s the perfect chance to mix up some special drinks. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s drink suggestions, inspired by Pinterest pins.

Ghost

1 1/4 oz. Smirnoff Vanilla Twist

1/2 oz. Godiva White Chocolate liqueur

1/4 oz. half and half

1/4 oz. simple syrup

Directions: Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and serve.

Apple Cinnamon Sangria

1 cup water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half

1 750 ml. bottle of cidre bouche, or dry French sparkling apple cider (make sure it’s very cold)

1/2 cup Calvados

1 apple, any variety, cored and thinly sliced

Directions: Heat water, sugar and cinnamon sticks together over medium-high heat. When sugar dissolves, shut off heat and let the syrup steep until it cools. Combine the syrup, the cider, the Calvados and the sliced apples in a jug. Stir, and serve immediately.

Black Velvet

Black Vodka

Creme de cassis

Sparkling cranberry juice

Directions: Fill a glass with ice. Add one measure of Black Vodka or one drop of black food coloring to clear vodka. Add one small measure of creme de cassis. Top with sparkling cranberry juice and stir.

Bloody Cosmopolitan

1 oz. vodka

2 oz. triple sec

1 oz. blood orange juice

1/2 oz. pomegranate juice

1 slice blood orange for garnish

Sugar for glass

Directions: Rim martini glass using the blood orange and sugar. Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pour into a glass over ice.

Check out these nonalcoholic options:

Ghoulade

2 (6 oz.) cans limeade, frozen concentrate, thawed

3 cups lemon-lime soda

3 1/2 cups green sports drink

Food coloring

Directions: Combine limeade, soda and sports drink in pitcher. Add five drops of appropriate food coloring (green makes this look ghastly) and stir. Add ice and garnish glasses with whipped cream.

Graveyard punch

2 liters diet root beer

24 gummy worms, more if desired

1 pint low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

1 pint low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt

Directions: Make root beer ice cubes by freezing soda into ice cube trays overnight. Add one gummy worm to each cube before freezing. Line bottom of punch bowl with scoops of frozen yogurt, and add remaining root beer to make “slush.” Add root beer cubes and serve.

Amanda Wood

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...