Serve up some spooky spirits

It’s the season of pumpkins, cooler weather and the thrills of Halloween. With the holiday falling on Thursday, when everyone is looking to unwind, it’s the perfect chance to mix up some special drinks. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s drink suggestions, inspired by Pinterest pins.

Ghost

1 1/4 oz. Smirnoff Vanilla Twist

1/2 oz. Godiva White Chocolate liqueur

1/4 oz. half and half

1/4 oz. simple syrup

Directions: Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and serve.

Apple Cinnamon Sangria

1 cup water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half

1 750 ml. bottle of cidre bouche, or dry French sparkling apple cider (make sure it’s very cold)

1/2 cup Calvados

1 apple, any variety, cored and thinly sliced

Directions: Heat water, sugar and cinnamon sticks together over medium-high heat. When sugar dissolves, shut off heat and let the syrup steep until it cools. Combine the syrup, the cider, the Calvados and the sliced apples in a jug. Stir, and serve immediately.

Black Velvet

Black Vodka

Creme de cassis

Sparkling cranberry juice

Directions: Fill a glass with ice. Add one measure of Black Vodka or one drop of black food coloring to clear vodka. Add one small measure of creme de cassis. Top with sparkling cranberry juice and stir.

Bloody Cosmopolitan

1 oz. vodka

2 oz. triple sec

1 oz. blood orange juice

1/2 oz. pomegranate juice

1 slice blood orange for garnish

Sugar for glass

Directions: Rim martini glass using the blood orange and sugar. Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pour into a glass over ice.

Check out these nonalcoholic options:

Ghoulade

2 (6 oz.) cans limeade, frozen concentrate, thawed

3 cups lemon-lime soda

3 1/2 cups green sports drink

Food coloring

Directions: Combine limeade, soda and sports drink in pitcher. Add five drops of appropriate food coloring (green makes this look ghastly) and stir. Add ice and garnish glasses with whipped cream.

Graveyard punch

2 liters diet root beer

24 gummy worms, more if desired

1 pint low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

1 pint low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt

Directions: Make root beer ice cubes by freezing soda into ice cube trays overnight. Add one gummy worm to each cube before freezing. Line bottom of punch bowl with scoops of frozen yogurt, and add remaining root beer to make “slush.” Add root beer cubes and serve.

Amanda Wood

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...