Serve up some spooky spirits

It’s the season of pumpkins, cooler weather and the thrills of Halloween. With the holiday falling on Thursday, when everyone is looking to unwind, it’s the perfect chance to mix up some special drinks. Check out The Miami Hurricane’s drink suggestions, inspired by Pinterest pins.

Ghost

1 1/4 oz. Smirnoff Vanilla Twist

1/2 oz. Godiva White Chocolate liqueur

1/4 oz. half and half

1/4 oz. simple syrup

Directions: Combine ingredients in cocktail shaker with ice. Strain into martini glass and serve.

Apple Cinnamon Sangria

1 cup water

1/2 cup granulated sugar

2 cinnamon sticks, snapped in half

1 750 ml. bottle of cidre bouche, or dry French sparkling apple cider (make sure it’s very cold)

1/2 cup Calvados

1 apple, any variety, cored and thinly sliced

Directions: Heat water, sugar and cinnamon sticks together over medium-high heat. When sugar dissolves, shut off heat and let the syrup steep until it cools. Combine the syrup, the cider, the Calvados and the sliced apples in a jug. Stir, and serve immediately.

Black Velvet

Black Vodka

Creme de cassis

Sparkling cranberry juice

Directions: Fill a glass with ice. Add one measure of Black Vodka or one drop of black food coloring to clear vodka. Add one small measure of creme de cassis. Top with sparkling cranberry juice and stir.

Bloody Cosmopolitan

1 oz. vodka

2 oz. triple sec

1 oz. blood orange juice

1/2 oz. pomegranate juice

1 slice blood orange for garnish

Sugar for glass

Directions: Rim martini glass using the blood orange and sugar. Shake all ingredients in a cocktail shaker and pour into a glass over ice.

Check out these nonalcoholic options:

Ghoulade

2 (6 oz.) cans limeade, frozen concentrate, thawed

3 cups lemon-lime soda

3 1/2 cups green sports drink

Food coloring

Directions: Combine limeade, soda and sports drink in pitcher. Add five drops of appropriate food coloring (green makes this look ghastly) and stir. Add ice and garnish glasses with whipped cream.

Graveyard punch

2 liters diet root beer

24 gummy worms, more if desired

1 pint low-fat vanilla frozen yogurt

1 pint low-fat chocolate frozen yogurt

Directions: Make root beer ice cubes by freezing soda into ice cube trays overnight. Add one gummy worm to each cube before freezing. Line bottom of punch bowl with scoops of frozen yogurt, and add remaining root beer to make “slush.” Add root beer cubes and serve.

Amanda Wood

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...