Campus Life, News, Student Organization

Rumble on the Green unites organizations

[imagebrowser id=16] [fresh_divider style=”solid”]

The UM Republicans beat out their competition at the Committee of Student Organization’s (COSO) Rumble on the Green on Friday as they worked through a variety of obstacles and tasks to win a $150 cash prize towards their organization.
“It was very shocking, I was out of words,” said Mathew De La Fe, president of UM Republicans. “We put our minds to something, and we did our best. We’re recognized by other organizations that we’re a serious organization.”
Rumble on the Green has been a longtime tradition of field day events, according to COSO involvement chair Kelly Mena.
This year’s events included several obstacle courses. One was a traditional inflatable obstacle course, where at least two runners were injured; another course required participants to carry a beach ball on their back. For the final course, competitors were blindfolded and guided by the voices of their team members.
Other events included transferring a hula-hoop up and down a line of team members, racing to fill up a bucket of water the fastest by passing a sponge down a line and running around campus for a scavenger hunt. Less athletic competitors played rounds of Mad Gab, a word game.
Eleven organizations, including the reigning champion Asian-American Student Association (AASA), came out fighting and trying to win the prize for their respective organization, according to AASA member Ashu Joshi.
“Everyone’s just like gunning for your No. 1 spot, you just got to keep looking over your back … You’ve got to defend your turf,” said Joshi, a senior who served as AASA’s captain of Rumble on the Green. “I know a lot of people here like to have fun, but they also have that competitive edge, and we all keep that in mind since we want to defend our crown.”
Their team lost, however, and the UM Republicans beat AASA for the top spot by just two points.
While Rumble on the Green does instill a sense of competitiveness among the teams, some organizations, like Rhythm Nation, use the event as an opportunity to foster relationships between and within the different student organizations.
“We don’t just want to be a new organization on paper, we want to be active, so this was a good way to start us off,” said Kenthia Farmer, Rhythm Nation’s president, who founded the group last year. “It was a good team building activity as well as a good way for us to meet other organizations.”

Jordan Coyne

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...

Former University of Miami soccer standout Phallon Tullis-Joyce has officially signed a professional ...

The Miami women's basketball team is set to host its first of three consecutive Sunday games th ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...