News Briefs 10/28

Yearbook Portraits
Starting at 10 a.m. Monday, students will be able to take their yearbook portraits in the UC lower lounge until 4 p.m. Nov. 15. Underclassmen portraits are free. Seniors may reserve an appointment at ibisyearbook.com.

Immigration Reform
This semester, the university is featuring a course that examines immigration reform. Former Labor Secretary Carlos Gutierrez and activist Frank Sherry will give a lecture to the class at 5 p.m. Monday at the Storer Auditorium. For more information, email professor Joseph Uscinski at uscinski@miami.edu.

Communication Networking
The  Communication Networking Night will take place from 6 to 8 p.m. on Tuesday in the School of Communication Courtyard. Students will have the opportunity to meet and network with professionals in fields such as public relations, advertising, graphic design and multimedia. Refreshments will be served.

Master Course
Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez, creator of the Generation Y blog, will offer a master class in Spanish at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. The class is open to all UM students and will be about civil opposition and the use of social media. The class will be at 1531 Brescia Ave. near the Coral Gables campus as part of the Certificate Program in Cuban Studies offered by the Institute for Cuba and Cuban American Studies.

‘Tomorrow’s Lawyers’
Professor Richard Susskind will be delivering a lecture based on his book, “Tomorrow’s Lawyers,” at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the Newman Alumni Center. Susskind’s main area of expertise is the future of professional service and the way in which information technology and the Internet are changing the legal field.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at amartinez@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Miami couldn’t in-bound the ball. When the host Hurricanes’ women’s basketball team looks back at Su ...

Offensive line is always one of the biggest needs for the Miami Hurricanes on the recruiting trail a ...

When Manny Diaz briefly left the Miami Hurricanes to become the coach of the Temple Owls, Keshawn Wa ...

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

A ninth inning rally pushed No. 5 NC State past the Canes on Sunday afternoon. ...

Miami's stellar season came to end Sunday, as the Hurricanes fell to ASU, 57-55, in the NCAA To ...

Despite Estela Perez-Somarriba logging a top-five triumph for the 100th win of her career, the No. 2 ...

Facing No. 11 North Carolina on its home court, the University of Miami men's tennis team got o ...