Campus Life, News

Memorial to honor graduate students’ passings

A memorial service for two University of Miami graduate students who were killed by a car in Pinecrest will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at the Student Activities Center third-floor Grand Ballroom.

The graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen were international students from China, beginning the first year of their doctoral degree in electrical and chemical engineering.

A Porsche struck Liu and Chen after 8 p.m. near their off-campus apartments across Kendall Drive at SW 68th Court, according to an article reported by The Miami Herald.

No charges have been filed, but police are still investigating.

Plans for a memorial service were delayed pending the families’ arrivals. A second family arrived Thursday night.

James Tien, dean of the School of Engineering, expressed his sympathies.

“Indeed, we extend our deepest sympathies to both families,” he said.

President Donna E. Shalala also released a statement about the loss.

“The entire university community is heartbroken at the loss of these two students,” she said. “Our Student Affairs staff has been working closely to offer support to their families, who have our deepest sympathies at this difficult time.”

Photography will not be permitted at the memorial service.

[box title=”If you go” style=”glass” box_color=”#9DB593″]

What: Memorial service

Where: SAC, third floor ballroom

When: 4 p.m. Monday

The memorial service will remember graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen, who died after being struck by an automobile.

[/box]

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center offers a great place to exercise; but if you can’t make ...

The Miami Climate Symposium 2020: Predicting and Living with Extremes, a three-day event hosted by t ...

A continuation of the “What Matters to U” speaker series, the former Ohio governor will speak to stu ...

Thousands gathered at the University of Miami’s Coral Gables campus for a weekend of creativity and ...

Some of the last uninhabited islands on the planet are serving as a natural laboratory for a Univers ...

UM's 2020 slate features an opener against a familiar former Big East foe, a three-game homesta ...

Two Canes earned spots on the 2020 D1 Baseball Preseason All-America Third Team. ...

After running the NCAA's fastest 60m dash time over the weekend, Raheem Chambers of the Miami t ...

The Miami women's tennis team retained its spot in the Oracle/ITA top 25, as announced Wednesda ...

Miami women's basketball returns to the Watsco Center on Thursday. ...