Campus Life, News

Memorial to honor graduate students’ passings

A memorial service for two University of Miami graduate students who were killed by a car in Pinecrest will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at the Student Activities Center third-floor Grand Ballroom.

The graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen were international students from China, beginning the first year of their doctoral degree in electrical and chemical engineering.

A Porsche struck Liu and Chen after 8 p.m. near their off-campus apartments across Kendall Drive at SW 68th Court, according to an article reported by The Miami Herald.

No charges have been filed, but police are still investigating.

Plans for a memorial service were delayed pending the families’ arrivals. A second family arrived Thursday night.

James Tien, dean of the School of Engineering, expressed his sympathies.

“Indeed, we extend our deepest sympathies to both families,” he said.

President Donna E. Shalala also released a statement about the loss.

“The entire university community is heartbroken at the loss of these two students,” she said. “Our Student Affairs staff has been working closely to offer support to their families, who have our deepest sympathies at this difficult time.”

Photography will not be permitted at the memorial service.

What: Memorial service

Where: SAC, third floor ballroom

When: 4 p.m. Monday

The memorial service will remember graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen, who died after being struck by an automobile.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...