Campus Life, News

Memorial to honor graduate students’ passings

A memorial service for two University of Miami graduate students who were killed by a car in Pinecrest will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at the Student Activities Center third-floor Grand Ballroom.

The graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen were international students from China, beginning the first year of their doctoral degree in electrical and chemical engineering.

A Porsche struck Liu and Chen after 8 p.m. near their off-campus apartments across Kendall Drive at SW 68th Court, according to an article reported by The Miami Herald.

No charges have been filed, but police are still investigating.

Plans for a memorial service were delayed pending the families’ arrivals. A second family arrived Thursday night.

James Tien, dean of the School of Engineering, expressed his sympathies.

“Indeed, we extend our deepest sympathies to both families,” he said.

President Donna E. Shalala also released a statement about the loss.

“The entire university community is heartbroken at the loss of these two students,” she said. “Our Student Affairs staff has been working closely to offer support to their families, who have our deepest sympathies at this difficult time.”

Photography will not be permitted at the memorial service.

What: Memorial service

Where: SAC, third floor ballroom

When: 4 p.m. Monday

The memorial service will remember graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen, who died after being struck by an automobile.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...