Campus Life, News

Memorial to honor graduate students’ passings

A memorial service for two University of Miami graduate students who were killed by a car in Pinecrest will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at the Student Activities Center third-floor Grand Ballroom.

The graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen were international students from China, beginning the first year of their doctoral degree in electrical and chemical engineering.

A Porsche struck Liu and Chen after 8 p.m. near their off-campus apartments across Kendall Drive at SW 68th Court, according to an article reported by The Miami Herald.

No charges have been filed, but police are still investigating.

Plans for a memorial service were delayed pending the families’ arrivals. A second family arrived Thursday night.

James Tien, dean of the School of Engineering, expressed his sympathies.

“Indeed, we extend our deepest sympathies to both families,” he said.

President Donna E. Shalala also released a statement about the loss.

“The entire university community is heartbroken at the loss of these two students,” she said. “Our Student Affairs staff has been working closely to offer support to their families, who have our deepest sympathies at this difficult time.”

Photography will not be permitted at the memorial service.

What: Memorial service

Where: SAC, third floor ballroom

When: 4 p.m. Monday

The memorial service will remember graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen, who died after being struck by an automobile.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...