Campus Life, News

Memorial to honor graduate students’ passings

A memorial service for two University of Miami graduate students who were killed by a car in Pinecrest will be held at 4 p.m. Monday at the Student Activities Center third-floor Grand Ballroom.

The graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen were international students from China, beginning the first year of their doctoral degree in electrical and chemical engineering.

A Porsche struck Liu and Chen after 8 p.m. near their off-campus apartments across Kendall Drive at SW 68th Court, according to an article reported by The Miami Herald.

No charges have been filed, but police are still investigating.

Plans for a memorial service were delayed pending the families’ arrivals. A second family arrived Thursday night.

James Tien, dean of the School of Engineering, expressed his sympathies.

“Indeed, we extend our deepest sympathies to both families,” he said.

President Donna E. Shalala also released a statement about the loss.

“The entire university community is heartbroken at the loss of these two students,” she said. “Our Student Affairs staff has been working closely to offer support to their families, who have our deepest sympathies at this difficult time.”

Photography will not be permitted at the memorial service.

What: Memorial service

Where: SAC, third floor ballroom

When: 4 p.m. Monday

The memorial service will remember graduate students Hao Liu and Ying Chen, who died after being struck by an automobile.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...