ENN alerts improve upon effectiveness

MUG_TaylorDuckett

Taylor Duckett

Many remember the Emergency Notification Network (ENN) alert from last year warning the university to be on the lookout for a black male. The only other descriptors given were that he was wearing a white T-shirt and gym shorts – a very generic outfit.

While some students found the ENN alert to be comical, many others on campus were not pleased, and the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) issued an apology the next morning.

The ENN system is in place to help keep students and faculty safe. It’s important for the information provided to be accurate, but not offensive. If people perceive the insensitivity as intentional, they may begin to disregard the ENN alerts altogether, putting themselves at risk.

Identifying race or ethnicity helps narrow down the potential suspects, but it must be done in a way that avoids unnecessary racial profiling or even implication of an entire group of people on campus.

Moreover, when an ENN alert offers conflicting accounts of what is happening, it leaves students confused and also diminishes the system’s credibility.

The OEM strives to get out the most information possible, as soon as possible. While efficiency is key, accuracy is more important. The time taken to ensure that the messages conveyed across all media are consistent is time saved by not having to resend messages with corrections or issue apologies.

That is why the OEM has worked on improving ENN to provide complete yet concise information regarding the situation at hand. We’ve seen their efforts this semester through the testing of the public announcement system, outdoor warning sirens and sample text messages.

Last week presented additional proof of the department’s progress. Students received an ENN alert Thursday regarding a bomb threat at Richter Library. The information provided across all forms of communication was concise and conveyed the point: Avoid the area until further notice.

Only two alerts had to be sent: One alerting the university to the dangerous situation and another reporting that it was all clear. In fact, the second text message included a link to a survey being circulated by OEM to collect feedback on the ENN system.

There is always work to be done to ensure that the ENN system is functioning to its full potential and keeping Canes safe.

Taylor Duckett is a junior majoring in economics.

Taylor Duckett

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...