Embrace Halloween’s traditional tricks and treats

MUG_112

Hunter Wright

Every year when Halloween comes around, I hear too much about costume controversy and far too little about the magic of the holiday that captivated me as a child.

It’s foolish to believe that you can assess a woman’s sexual morals by her choice to dress as a sexy rodent, naughty nurse or any other sort of sexy, naughty character on Halloween.

Believe it or not, attire isn’t an indicator of libido. I highly doubt that men say, “That girl must have no sexual impulses at all because she’s wearing a T-shirt,” as if only girls who wear sparkly corsets are sexually inclined. For those whining about the message these skimpier costumes might project, remember that the woman in said “slutty” costume is quite capable of verbally communicating whether she wants to sleep with her pursuers.

But enough about costume: Even without them, Halloween can be both fun and scary. If you allow yourself to goof off and embrace it with the enthusiasm that you once had as a kid, you can completely terrify yourself. Get your heart racing like you’re trapped in a cabin in the woods with nothing but the willies and a widowed witch who’s out to get you.

When Halloween’s not about candy corn, it’s about ghost stories, crackling fires, cemeteries, screaming cats, horse skulls and hypothetical creatures with sagging jaws crawling out from behind trees to grab your ankles. Halloween is a festival of fears and fun. It’s adrenaline, and, at this age, it’s nostalgia. Remember how fun it was to carve jack-o’-lanterns and get pumpkin goop under your nails?

The tradition of lighting up pumpkins began because supposedly a man named Jack was unable to enter heaven due to his miserliness and unable to enter hell because he’d been playing pranks on the devil. He then found himself condemned to wander Earth with a lantern until Judgment Day. Because of this legend, we get to carve pumpkins, stick lighted candles in them and play pranks, which beats the story behind the Easter bunny.

Nostalgia is a mood-booster, and so is confidence. Worrying about unnecessary things inhibits the magic from welling up inside of you and giving you an incredible, high-spirited night. So do what you want, wear what you want, bob for apples, go to a haunted house, and above all, be safe, be scary and be bright.

Hunter Wright is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Hunter Wright

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

A colorless, odorless gas used by a UM scientist to study ocean currents helps save his vision. ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...