Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Doctor Who’s’ David Tennant stars in bubbly British romcom

Decoy bride

The Decoy Bride  – Scotland/England – Netflix instant watch and Amazon Prime

“Doctor Who” fans who impatiently await David Tennant’s appearance in “The Day of The Doctor” late November may appease their apprehension by watching him star as a sarcastic, but (eventually) romantic best-selling writer in this Scottish-English romantic comedy that is more “com” than “rom.”

Like a Sunday morning that is bleakly aware of an impending Monday, the main character starts out rather regretfully as she is painfully reminded of her lack of prospects in her small Scottish island.

Yet, as the story progresses, she embraces her small town, compiling a second edition of the tour guide that until then had been used as toilet paper.

Though the movie plays with stereotypical foils – rich verse living-with-mother, bestseller verse independent-writer – it executes them with unabashed bubbliness in a setting that is unpredictable and hilarious.

Paparazzi dressed as monks, castles covered in feathers, and David Tennant in quill-and-ink-patterned boxers are just some of the quirky wonders of this light flick.

Luisa Andonie

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...