Blogs, Free Foreign Film Friday

‘Doctor Who’s’ David Tennant stars in bubbly British romcom

Decoy bride

The Decoy Bride  – Scotland/England – Netflix instant watch and Amazon Prime

“Doctor Who” fans who impatiently await David Tennant’s appearance in “The Day of The Doctor” late November may appease their apprehension by watching him star as a sarcastic, but (eventually) romantic best-selling writer in this Scottish-English romantic comedy that is more “com” than “rom.”

Like a Sunday morning that is bleakly aware of an impending Monday, the main character starts out rather regretfully as she is painfully reminded of her lack of prospects in her small Scottish island.

Yet, as the story progresses, she embraces her small town, compiling a second edition of the tour guide that until then had been used as toilet paper.

Though the movie plays with stereotypical foils – rich verse living-with-mother, bestseller verse independent-writer – it executes them with unabashed bubbliness in a setting that is unpredictable and hilarious.

Paparazzi dressed as monks, castles covered in feathers, and David Tennant in quill-and-ink-patterned boxers are just some of the quirky wonders of this light flick.

Luisa Andonie

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The Miami Hurricanes football coaching staff is officially complete. UM announced Friday that Taylor ...

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...

Check out the January edition of the University of Miami's e-magazine. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team improved to 2-0 on the young season after securing a ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first doubleheader of the season Saturday in ...