Crime and Safety, News

Richter Library evacuated in response to bomb threat

The University of Miami’s Richter Library was reopened Thursday afternoon after having been evacuated that morning as police responded to a possible bomb threat.

“There was a note found in a bathroom, and the kid who found it turned it in, and that’s what sparked all of this,” said Coral Gables Police Sgt. Dean Wellinghoff. “Right now we’re doing a search with the bomb dogs to be safe.”

Students, like sophomore Kamille Winslow were evacuated a little after 10 a.m.

“I was on the second floor of the library in the quiet area … then I heard a male voice say, ‘Please evacuate the library,’ and I thought it was a student, but then I saw a cop and another one on the other side so he directly told me to evacuate,” she said.

The rest of the University of Miami was alerted of the situation when an Emergency Notifiction Network message was issued at 10:28 a.m., approximately 20 minutes after the initial evacuation.

According to School of Communication employee Pedro Delgado, who was walking through the Farmers’ Market, UMPD, the Coral Gables Police Department, UM Facilities and library personnel were seen meeting outside of Richter during the time between the evacuation and the notification.

Junior Jade Wollschlaeger, who was studying chemistry in one of the study rooms on the second floor, was confused by the vagueness of the evacuation.

“It was weird because I was there and had no idea what was happening until I was at Oasis,” she said. “That’s pretty bad that it took 15 minutes to get that alert.”

UM sent out a second ENN alert at 12:14 p.m. alerting students and staff that Richter was all clear after police had swept over the area, and that there was no cause for concern found.

The Miami Hurricane’s Opinion Editor Lyssa Goldberg contributed to this report. 

Jordan Coyne

Even after snagging Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, UM has remained highly aggressive in its pursu ...

As the NFL’s conference finals were unfolding Sunday, Manny Diaz – the UM coach who doubles as a soc ...

The University of Miami womens’ basketball team made sure North Carolina fans didn’t get to celebrat ...

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The Miami women's basketball team will play its highest-ranked opponent of the season thus far ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team was named the ACC Player of the Week, ...

Bennie Blades will serve as host of the UMSHoF's Eighth Annual Celebrity Bowling Tournament, on ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated North Carolina for the fourth consecutive year with ...