Crime and Safety, News

Richter Library evacuated in response to bomb threat

The University of Miami’s Richter Library was reopened Thursday afternoon after having been evacuated that morning as police responded to a possible bomb threat.

“There was a note found in a bathroom, and the kid who found it turned it in, and that’s what sparked all of this,” said Coral Gables Police Sgt. Dean Wellinghoff. “Right now we’re doing a search with the bomb dogs to be safe.”

Students, like sophomore Kamille Winslow were evacuated a little after 10 a.m.

“I was on the second floor of the library in the quiet area … then I heard a male voice say, ‘Please evacuate the library,’ and I thought it was a student, but then I saw a cop and another one on the other side so he directly told me to evacuate,” she said.

The rest of the University of Miami was alerted of the situation when an Emergency Notifiction Network message was issued at 10:28 a.m., approximately 20 minutes after the initial evacuation.

According to School of Communication employee Pedro Delgado, who was walking through the Farmers’ Market, UMPD, the Coral Gables Police Department, UM Facilities and library personnel were seen meeting outside of Richter during the time between the evacuation and the notification.

Junior Jade Wollschlaeger, who was studying chemistry in one of the study rooms on the second floor, was confused by the vagueness of the evacuation.

“It was weird because I was there and had no idea what was happening until I was at Oasis,” she said. “That’s pretty bad that it took 15 minutes to get that alert.”

UM sent out a second ENN alert at 12:14 p.m. alerting students and staff that Richter was all clear after police had swept over the area, and that there was no cause for concern found.

The Miami Hurricane’s Opinion Editor Lyssa Goldberg contributed to this report. 

Jordan Coyne

The word “swag” was mentioned multiple times Tuesday at the inaugural Miami Hurricanes spring practi ...

How did Tate Martell’s Phoenix-based attorney, Travis Leach, convince the NCAA to permit Martell to ...

After a quick courtship, Daran Branch is the newest member of the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020. A ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ high-profile quarterback competition just got super spicy. Tate Martell, the 2 ...

Lots of Hurricanes nuggets on the first day of spring practice: ▪ The UM offense officially entered ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Hear from the Hurricanes as they opened up day one of spring football inside the IPF. ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

Miami rises 13 spots to No. 23 nationally. ...

Going a perfect 5-0 in doubles action, freshmen Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias collected Miami ...