Resolution eases fan apprehension

Andrew Wyatt

Andrew Wyatt

Joy. Happiness. Relief. Excitement. These words are the feelings expressed by the student body Tuesday after the official announcement of the NCAA sanctions. “I Stand with the U” has been the Canes family’s message for almost three years. Tuesday the student body was able to stand in solidarity in the best way.

For the past two years, students have asked questions and were left uneasy about what would happen at the end of each athletic season. However, we still went out to support our student-athletes and their respective sports. Tuesday, all of that confusion and reluctance came to an end. When each student is in the stands cheering loudly for this wonderful university, there is no question, no doubt, that we are all cheering for success and victory.

Last year the women’s tennis team and the men’s basketball team began the resurgence of the historical success this university has seen. This season the football team is taking its turn with messages of “Full Speed Ahead” and “Deserve Victory,” finally knowing that the team is in the clear. We have stood with our fellow Canes and supported UM’s athletic teams every day on this campus and on the field. This will only continue to grow stronger with each coming year.

The investigation was long, unfair and intolerable, but it created a family atmosphere within all areas of the University of Miami. President Donna E. Shalala and athletic director Blake James released statements to every student, and the students stand behind UM’s decision to not appeal and instead move forward from the investigation.

Even with the loss of athletic scholarships over the next three years, the Hurricanes are on the rise once again. We are ready, as a unified community, to move forward and succeed in all that we do. Go Canes!

Andrew Wyatt is a senior majoring in sports administration.

Andrew Wyatt

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...