Resolution eases fan apprehension

Andrew Wyatt

Andrew Wyatt

Joy. Happiness. Relief. Excitement. These words are the feelings expressed by the student body Tuesday after the official announcement of the NCAA sanctions. “I Stand with the U” has been the Canes family’s message for almost three years. Tuesday the student body was able to stand in solidarity in the best way.

For the past two years, students have asked questions and were left uneasy about what would happen at the end of each athletic season. However, we still went out to support our student-athletes and their respective sports. Tuesday, all of that confusion and reluctance came to an end. When each student is in the stands cheering loudly for this wonderful university, there is no question, no doubt, that we are all cheering for success and victory.

Last year the women’s tennis team and the men’s basketball team began the resurgence of the historical success this university has seen. This season the football team is taking its turn with messages of “Full Speed Ahead” and “Deserve Victory,” finally knowing that the team is in the clear. We have stood with our fellow Canes and supported UM’s athletic teams every day on this campus and on the field. This will only continue to grow stronger with each coming year.

The investigation was long, unfair and intolerable, but it created a family atmosphere within all areas of the University of Miami. President Donna E. Shalala and athletic director Blake James released statements to every student, and the students stand behind UM’s decision to not appeal and instead move forward from the investigation.

Even with the loss of athletic scholarships over the next three years, the Hurricanes are on the rise once again. We are ready, as a unified community, to move forward and succeed in all that we do. Go Canes!

Andrew Wyatt is a senior majoring in sports administration.

Andrew Wyatt

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...