Resolution eases fan apprehension

Andrew Wyatt

Andrew Wyatt

Joy. Happiness. Relief. Excitement. These words are the feelings expressed by the student body Tuesday after the official announcement of the NCAA sanctions. “I Stand with the U” has been the Canes family’s message for almost three years. Tuesday the student body was able to stand in solidarity in the best way.

For the past two years, students have asked questions and were left uneasy about what would happen at the end of each athletic season. However, we still went out to support our student-athletes and their respective sports. Tuesday, all of that confusion and reluctance came to an end. When each student is in the stands cheering loudly for this wonderful university, there is no question, no doubt, that we are all cheering for success and victory.

Last year the women’s tennis team and the men’s basketball team began the resurgence of the historical success this university has seen. This season the football team is taking its turn with messages of “Full Speed Ahead” and “Deserve Victory,” finally knowing that the team is in the clear. We have stood with our fellow Canes and supported UM’s athletic teams every day on this campus and on the field. This will only continue to grow stronger with each coming year.

The investigation was long, unfair and intolerable, but it created a family atmosphere within all areas of the University of Miami. President Donna E. Shalala and athletic director Blake James released statements to every student, and the students stand behind UM’s decision to not appeal and instead move forward from the investigation.

Even with the loss of athletic scholarships over the next three years, the Hurricanes are on the rise once again. We are ready, as a unified community, to move forward and succeed in all that we do. Go Canes!

Andrew Wyatt is a senior majoring in sports administration.

Andrew Wyatt

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...

100 days until Miami – Florida LVI. The countdown is on. ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...