Integrity goes a long way with NCAA

The prolonged NCAA investigation into the University of Miami athletics department’s violations has reached its final chapter, and the university’s decision not to appeal means the book is truly closed.

When the NCAA handed out its sanctions Tuesday, the UM community let out a collective sigh of relief. Above all else, the No. 7-ranked Hurricanes will maintain bowl eligibility.

While many have expressed support for Miami, the U is still not without its critics. Some have said that the NCAA let us off easy, but anyone who has followed the last two and a half years at knows that this is not the case.

Miami self-imposed two bowl bans, cooperated with the NCAA, and carried itself gracefully throughout the duration of the investigation. Nonetheless, a statement from the University of Southern California – which was charged with lack of institutional control in 2010 – released Tuesday, attempts to suggest otherwise: “We have always felt that our penalties were too harsh. This decision only bolsters that view.”

The statement by USC athletic director Pat Haden draws a comparison between the two schools, but there is a distinction to be made. The clear difference is that USC knew of its wrongdoing but let it continue. As a result, the NCAA stripped the Trojans of their 2005 national title and Reggie Bush of his Heisman Trophy.

On the other hand, our university administration handled this investigation professionally thanks to the decision-making of President Donna E. Shalala, athletic director Blake James and others. And the Committee on Infractions recognized that.

While students may have been disappointed when the Canes were left out of postseason play, the sacrifice was the right one to make in the long run. Britton Banowsky, chairman of the Infractions Committee, acknowledged that these self-imposed penalties were a “very big deal” and that they indicated that UM had taken the matter seriously. UM took full responsibility, but more importantly, will continue to do so.

“Our compliance measures need to keep getting better,” Shalala said.

And James encourages students, fans and the community to come forward when they observe unethical behavior and bring it to the attention of the athletics department.

While the NCAA’s botched investigation suggests the association doesn’t fully grasp the meaning of integrity, at least it can recognize it when it sees it in the U.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...