I stand with Nevin Shapiro

Entrepreneur. Philanthropist. Perfect angel. Friend. These are the words that come to our minds when we think of our one and only Nevin Shapiro, the U’s kind benefactor and hero to us all. How can one person be so selfless as to devote his own life to nothing but giving? Giving his time. Giving his sweat. Giving his money. Giving so much and with such dedication that we don’t know where we’d be without him.

What are parents willing to give their children? Everything in their power. If your children needed thousands in cash, would you tell them no? If your son had a rough week, would you make everything worse by denying him prostitutes? And if your daughter needed an abortion, would you hold out? The answer is no. You wouldn’t because you are a responsible parent and you love your children as much as they love themselves, which is way too much.

Shapiro wasn’t in it for the money. He wasn’t even in it for any love of sports. He did it for us. For all of us. Shapiro is a kind soul. He is a capitalist and a lover of people. He wanted what’s best for our athletes, and that’s a yacht to have crazy sex parties on. And how did we repay this generosity? We didn’t.

“Once the players turned pro, they turned their back on me. It made me feel like a used friend,” the great Shapiro once said, probably sobbing at the pain of this betrayal.

Is this who we are? Is this the Hurricane way? Maybe the NCAA is right. Maybe our athletics department doesn’t deserve the privileges we once enjoyed until we learn how to treat our closest allies with respect. Shame on us. Shame on the University of Miami.

However, I still hold hope that the next time a beautiful martyr such as Shapiro donates millions of dollars acquired through a Ponzi scheme they put their heart and soul into, we here at UM will have the dignity to treat them with the gratitude they deserve.

Thank you, Nevin. Thank you. May we forever sing your praises.

Adrian Alonso is a sophomore majoring in creative writing.

Adrian Alonso

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...